Chapter 6

A Week Later...

Marxian

My fall break has been nothing like what I expected. Instead of going to visit my folks, I stayed on campus and hung out with Astril, watching movies at her dorm, walking through the park, or grabbing coffee. The only time I've been at the house was to sleep and shower and I've only seen the guys at practice or in passing. Tobias has been giving me shit for ditching them but doesn't know why and I plan to keep it that way. Not that I don't want to be seen with her, but because the guys wouldn't let it go. Especially Tobias.

Bek on the other hand...

I find myself smiling more than ever when I'm around her. She is starting to open up, talking more and not bothering with her ears as much. I have yet to kiss her again since the fire and haven't even touched her really but surprisingly, I don't mind. For once, it's nice to be with a girl I'm not just wanting to sleep with and move on. My wolf has been quiet too, not on edge or ready to rip something apart the first chance it gets. I can't put my finger on it, but she's different.

The leaves crunch under my boots as I make my way to the main park in the middle of campus. Bek texted me that morning that she planned to go there for some meditation thing. They guys were all passed out in the living room after drinking all night so I figured I'd meet her there. The air is crisp but it's not cold enough to keep everyone bundled up and inside. I only threw on my jeans and hoodie before heading out.

As I get close to the park, I can see the little elf sitting between a large oak tree. She's cross legged on a yoga mat with her hands in her lap and eyes closed. Her long silver hair falls down her back with a headband once again covering her ears. She looks cute like that, a little hippie sitting in the sun, but I hate that she feels the need to cover her ears. Once I get closer, I see she's in a knitted crop top and leggings. Is she not freezing?

More leaves crunch under my boots, giving me away and causing her to turn and face me. A small smile lights up her face as she sees me.

"Hey Marxian! Join me." She calls over and shifts over.

"Hey bek." I come over but stay standing up. Surely she doesn't mean to join her in her meditating crap. "Don't let me throw off your zen or whatever."

She gives me a look but shakes her head. "Nonsense. Come on. You could use some meditation in your life to get rid of all that pent up aggression."

"I do not.." I try to start to argue but she huffs at me. Yeah, ok she's right but it's kind of hard not to when you have a killer animal's instinct lurking within you.

"Fine." I sit next to her and cross my legs, trying to copy her.

"Just close your eyes and breath. Focus on what is happening around you, allow nature to take over what is happening on the inside." She instructs, closing her own eyes and taking a deep breath to demonstrate.

I can't help but laugh. "You do realize who you're talking to right?"

She looks over at me and chuckles. "Oh, right. Ok well then focus on relaxing. Imagine each deep breath taking the tension out of your muscles and the air pulling the stress right out of you."

Astril goes back to her meditating and I attempt to do the same. Closing my eyes, I breath deeply and slowly, trying to cut out the noise of the park and focus on myself. My wolf seems to sit and do the same. For a second, I don't feel anything but I catch her scent. Rich lavender consumes my senses and seems to fill all the spaces within me that hold tension. All I feel is her. I can see my wolf curl up and fall asleep, relaxed for the first time in what feels like weeks. Damn, this shit actually works. I feel calm.