Samantha

Samantha woke up earlier the next morning for school than usual.

She still didn't feel like a brand new person but she was starting to notice a small change happening.

Sure, there were some physical changes. Not much, but her skin was clearer and somehow her hair felt fuller.
She'd also noticed her nails seemed to be growing much faster than before.

But, the main thing she was noticing was how she felt inside.

Derek had told her that the more she learned and harnessed her abilities, the more she'd start to gain confidence and everything would get better.

She couldn't remember the last time she'd felt anywhere close to this energetic.

Making her way over to her desk, she pulled up a playlist on her computer to listen to music while she got ready that morning.

She held up the short white dress that fell in soft layers and a pair of sparkly gold flats.
The same dress she'd picked out after she'd been turned but didn't bother wearing it.

For the first time since the first week of school her freshman year, she put on some make up and used a curling iron to enhance the natural waves in her golden hair

Picking up her book bag she headed downstairs where her younger brother was already sitting at the kitchen island playing a game on his Nintendo DS.
Looks like she wasn't the only one to get an early start that day.

"Good morning." She said smiling at him.

Looking up at her his eyes widened.

"What?" She asked feeling self-conscious.

"You're dressed up... and you're wearing make-up." He observed.

"Should I change clothes?" She asked, nervously.

After a few minutes he shrugged, "I don't know. I don't know anything about girl clothes, ask mom." And turned his attention back to his game.

She rolled her eyes and let out a small laugh at his words.

"What's for breakfast?" He asked, not looking up from his game.

"I don't know, what do you want?" She asked, checking the time to make sure he wasn't going to miss the bus.

"Ice cream." He stated.

She opened her mouth to protest but then she smiled and pulled some bowls form the cabinet.

"Ice cream it is." She said as she got the container out of the freezer.

"Wait... are you serious?" He asked.

"Mm-hm." She hummed as she began to scoop the ice cream out into 3 bowls.

Not even saving his game, he shut the DS and got the chocolate syrup out of the refrigerator and sprinkles from the cabinet.

She let him put syrup and sprinkles on all 3 bowls of ice cream; as he finished the last one he said, "Austin is going to be jealous when I tell him what I had for breakfast! I have the coolest sister."

She laughed and smiled, she couldn't remember the last time she'd felt that good in the morning before school.

As they both started to eat, their mom came downstairs.

"Hey mom." Jacob said with his mouth full of ice cream.

"Morning." Samantha's mouth was partially fully when she spoke.

Sitting down at the kitchen island beside her son, she looked down at the bowl of ice cream in front of her.

"Ice cream... for breakfast?" Amanda questioned.