Cards on the Table

After pulling her car to a stop outside of Lydia's house, Samantha put on a jacket in hopes of hiding the bloody, shredded fabric from the side of her shirt.

The sounds of music and laughing filled her ears as she stared at the house and smiled as she grabbed the gift bag from her passenger seat.
She'd been worried that with everyone thinking Lydia was going crazy, no one would show up for her party.

As she reached the door and rang the doorbell, it only took a few seconds before someone she didn't recognize opened the door and let her in.

Nodding in thanks she entered the house and searched for Lydia to give her the present, but was unable to find her friend.

Finally, she decided to just leave her gift in Lydia's bedroom. After sitting the bag down on her friends bed, she whirled around at the sound of footsteps in the room with her.

"Hey." Matt greeted with a smile.

"What are you doing in here... you followed me?" Sam accused crossing her arms over her chest.

Ignoring her he closed to the door to block out some of the sounds of the party as he cleared his throat and began, "Sam, I get it okay. I took a couple of pictures of you that I should have told you about."

She raised her eyebrows at him, "A couple?"

"C'mon, is it really that bad that I think you're beautiful and I think you should be the subject of a perfect photograph?" He asked as he took a step closer.

"Matt, you had pictures of me that I don't even know how you took them. You were watching me in my room and at work and-"

Letting out a small laugh he explained, "Telephoto lens. I mean, come on, Sam. Photographers call them candids."

His tone was simple and dismissive; he honestly didn't see a problem with what he'd done.

"It's an invasion of my privacy." She adjusted her stance, "Matt, you have been stalking me."

She watched as the friendly expression on his face shifted into something else, verging on rage.

"Stalking, so I'm a stalker now?" He said, his voice dry.

"I think some people might call it that, yes." She admitted as she dropped her arms to her sides.

Taking a step forward he said, "And what would they call you... a werewolf?"

It felt like the air had been knocked out of her.

"I don't understand it. I've known about you for so long, and I don't care what you are. How many guys do you think will be like that?" He asked.

Anger seeped into his voice.

Her head was spinning, if he knew about her then chances were he knew about her pack... maybe even knew about Scott.

"This..." She said motioning between them, "Will never happen. I only saw you as a friend, and I thought that's how you saw me too. And Matt, I don't understand what is wrong with you!"

"Wrong with me?" He scoffed.

"I think you need help." She accused, but there was sadness in her tone.

She had really liked him as a friend, he was always there for her and easy to talk to. But she'd had no idea what was really going on with him.

"Why? Do you honestly think I'm the kind of guy who's gonna say something, well, if I can't have her, no one can." His voice was raised.