Find My Own Way Down

Samantha started to descend the stairs to the hideout as she thought about what she'd heard on the news that morning; the search for Jackson had been called off. He'd been found.

"You said you were gonna teach us to change whenever we wanted." She heard Isaac saying, followed by the rattling sounds of chains.

"There hasn't been time." Derek dismissed.

"But if you have to lock us up during the full moon, that means you're alone against the Argents." Isaac argued.

"No, he won't be." Sam announced as she stepped off the last stair and surveyed her pack.

"Oh my god, where have you been?" Erica asked, relived to see she was alright.
Everyone had been really starting to worry about her.

"Trying to clear my head and figure some things out." She admitted.

"I'm glad you're back." Isaac said nodding at her, the look on his face was apologetic.

Then turning his attention to Derek he asked, "Why don't we just forget about the kanima?"

"We cant!" Derek yelled then paused as he continued, "There was something about the way Gerard looked at it..."

"Jackson got back up after an entire clip was emptied into him. And Gerard's heart rate never once increased." Sam helped Derek explain.

"Meaning that what... he's planning something?" Erica guessed with a shrug.

"Whatever it is, we need to figure it out." Derek said.

"Then I guess we better get going." Isaac said as he slid his phone back into his pocket after checking the time.

"I can drive you to school." Sam offered, but mainly it was an excuse to leave at the same time with them.

"Sam, hang on." Derek called as she followed her pack up the stairs.

Exchanging looks, Erica and Isaac continued on and left Sam to be alone with him.

"I can't really be late to school." She said as she tried to leave again but he stopped her.

"You can't just disappear like that, especially not right now with so many hunters in town. I didn't know if you'd just ran away or if they'd captured you." He explained, his voice was stern but his expression showed concern.

Her eyes fell from his face as she shrugged and responded, "I thought it was better to avoid everyone... I didn't want to be kicked out of the pack."

"You really thought I'd do that?" He questioned, seeming surprised.

Sure he was hard on his betas, maybe more so on her than anyone else. But that didn't mean he was going to leave them to fend for themselves.

"I don't know... maybe a week ago I would have said no. But I followed Stiles and Scott to that club. I saw you try to kill, Jackson." She explained as she looked him in the eyes.

"Why are you always trying to humanize it? When I attacked, it was the kanima... not Jackson." He asserted.

She scoffed and shook her head, "You don't want to humanize the kanima because then it makes it harder to kill him because even if he's hidden under scales, there's still a teenage boy in there."

Derek's jaw tensed, and she saw a vein show on the side of this neck as he stared back at her.

It was the truth. Killing a teenager and killing a bloodthirsty, lethal monster were two entirely different things.