Cold, Steel Blue

"That should do it." Derek exclaimed as he stepped back from the wall and laid the drill down on the table.

Sam and Isaac stared at the red light on the wall, the last touch on the DIY security system for the loft Derek had been working on.

"I still think it would have been easier to call ADT or something." Isaac said with a shrug.

Sam glanced at Isaac, she couldn't deny she was on his side with this one.

"Are you sure this is going to work?" Sam asked.

Ignoring Isaac's comment Derek said, "We'll need to test it..."

His sentence trailed off as they heard the elevator from the hallway open on their floor.

They heard footsteps and then the alarm sounded all through the loft and the red light on the wall started to flash, alerting them of an intruder.

Derek's claws were immediately out, ready to take on whoever walked through the doors.

Sam and Isaac stared at the door, neither of them knowing who it would be.

The only person who really knew they were even there was Peter, but he spent most of his time in his own apartment across town.

As the heavy metal door slowly opened, they all three started towards it until they were met by a gasp and shocked expression as Lydia saw them and stared wide-eyed.

She was still adjusting to the world of the supernatural, and quite honestly, had thought she was handling all of the newly learned information well.

But walking into a room with three sets of glowing eyes staring back at her was still unnerving.

Looking back to the alarm system as he hit the button to silence it, Isaac exclaimed, "It works."

Derek, who was still mad at Lydia for using him to resurrect his dead uncle, turned to Sam and asked with an irritation laced sigh, "What is she doing here?"

"What are you doing here?" Sam repeated looking at her friend with a slightly stunned expression.

Surveying the group in front of her again, Lydia cleared her throat and said, "I know you have your... werewolf stuff going on and we've hardly talked this summer -but did you really think I'd forget your birthday?"

The confused expression on Sam's face grew.
"I never told you when my birthday was... how do you even know where I live?"

Lydia walked farther into the loft and said, "I leave for Paris tomorrow, which means we've only got a few hours to go shopping and get this party thrown together."

"I didn't know it was your birthday." Isaac announced looking at Sam who avoided his eyes and argued, "I'm kind of busy, Lydia."

"It's your birthday."

"I don't care."

"Everyone cares about their birthday."

Before she was able to protest any further, her friend had a hold of her arm and was pulling her towards the door as Sam looked back to where both Derek and Isaac were wearing amused expressions on their faces.

A little while later the girls were walking into the mall, Lydia was chattering on and on about something Sam was only half listening to when she spotted the missing person posters for Boyd and Erica outside taped to a large window next to the doors.

"Sam?"

Blinking her eyes a few times and looking over to her Sam asked, "Sorry, what was that?"

With a small sigh Lydia repeated about how she'd talked to Jackson a few times since he moved on the phone, but they'd both decided a long distance relationship ranging from different countries wasn't plausible for either one of them.