Rabbit Heart

After having tests in almost all of her morning classes, Samantha walked into the girls bathroom at school.

She sat her schoolbag down on the floor by the sink and pulled her phone from her pocket to check the time and see when Erica was coming to school that day.

Before she could read her text messages, she heard someone crying from one of the stalls.

Pausing she listened as the sobs grew louder.

"Um... hello?" Sam called out.

"Who's out there?" Lydia asked.

"Sam." She responded.

"Sam who?" Lydia asked, not able to hold her tears in from the experience she'd just had between classes.

Jackson had cornered her and said everything bad that happened to him was her fault, but she had no idea what he'd been talking about.
She also didn't understand why he'd have saved her life and carried her off the field the night of the formal if he didn't care about her at all.

"Samantha Evans." She answered, thinking Lydia probably wouldn't remember her.

"Oh, you're Allison's friend." Lydia realized, relived it was someone she at least kind of knew, "The new girl, right?"

"No, I'm not really..." She started to deny, then realizing details didn't matter at the moment she cleared her throat and said, "Yeah, it's me."

"Are you okay?" Sam was concerned.
She could feel so much sadness and distress in the room.

"It's just... I don't know why he's so mad at me, and he just kept going on and on about how I've ruined things for him." Lydia sobbed, a fresh wave of tears leaving hot streaks down her flushed cheeks.
She balled up more toilet paper to dab at her eyes.

"Who? Who said that?" Sam struggled to keep up without having all the details.

"Jackson!" Lydia shrieked, causing Sam to jump from the unexpected outburst.

Lydia opened her mouth to say more, then stopped when she heard the bathroom door open again.

"Who came in?" Lydia asked.

"It's just us in here." Sam assured her.

Looking down Lydia gasped when she saw a pair of men's feet covered in dirt.

"This is the girls room..." She managed to say through her tears.

"Lydia?" Sam asked, but she didn't respond.
A chill wrapped around her spine.

A few moments later the stall door opened and Lydia looked around the wall of sinks, not even seeing Sam standing there, she ran from the room.

Concerned and confused, Sam chased after her through the empty hallway and down a small set of stairs, until she came to stop in front of a trophy case.

"Lydia?" Sam asked as she lightly reached out and touched her arm.

As if being woken from a dream Lydia gasped and jumped back.

"Didn't you see him?" She questioned with eyes as big as saucers.

Sam looked around them, "See who? You just... bolted from the bathroom and then stood here staring at the trophies."

"No, I followed the man who came in the girls bathroom." Lydia argued her eyebrows raised.

She seemed so very sure of what she'd seen that the confidence left Sam questioning if she had missed a man walking into the room with them.