Odd Girl Out

"What do you think?" Sam asked as she pried the lid off the paint can to reveal the purple substance inside.

"I  probably would have gone with a dark gray... or red, blood red." Erica  responded as she took her jacket off and laid in on Sam's bed which was  pulled out away from the wall.

"Of course you would have." Sam  said, and then laughed, "But I'll have you know that purple represents  strength and a special kind of beauty because the color purple is rare  in nature."

Erica raised her eyebrows as she said, "Okay, what kind of new age juju book did you read that from?"

"I  didn't read it out of any book! This guy we go to school with...Matt,  told me." Samantha explained as she handed Erica a paint roller and  said, "Let's get started."

Erica watched as Sam started to roll the royal purple color over the off white walls.

"So... what are you going to do about Derek?" Erica asked.

She smiled when she saw Sam freeze for a second before continuing to paint.

"Well,  I got another waitress to cover my shift tonight because I should  really be there, it's Boyd's first night of training." She answered.

Rolling her eyes and laughing she said, "I mean about your feelings for him."

"What  are you going to do about your crush on Stiles?" She quickly retorted  as she scooted the paint tray farther down and started on a new patch of  the wall.

"Nothing for now, in case you haven't noticed he seems  to only have eyes for Lydia Martin... apparently he's into the stuck up  princess types." Erica said as she moved farther down the wall in the  opposite direction.

Sam nodded, she was pretty sure everyone who knew Stiles could see how much he liked Lydia.

"What's you're excuse?" Erica questioned.

"They're  not excuses... they are reasons, starting with the fact that Derek would  never-" She started to say but Erica cut her off as she turned and  loudly proclaimed, "Don't even say he'd never be into a girl like you."

"I'm working on the whole self-confidence thing." Sam's nose wrinkled.

"Plus,  your first reason isn't even an actual reason. Because I've seen him  with you... he's different." She tried to put her hunch into words.

"Different how?" Sam questioned as she stopped painting and turned around.

"For one, he's definitely more protective over you." Erica pointed out.

"I think it's because I was his first beta." Samantha remarked, her tone simple and dismissive.

"You're  wrong." Erica argued as she poured more paint into her tray and moved  to the opposite wall and added, "You're the one he takes to run errands  with."

"Probably just because I've been with him, er - a part of the pack for longer." She reasoned it away.

"Or, because he actually likes spending time with you." Erica argued.

"You  should have seen the looks we got at the hardware store the night I  went with him to get the chains and everything." Sam chuckled.

"I can imagine!" Erica nearly choked on her own breath with a laugh.

"Seriously,  Sam." She cleared her throat, "I've seen him smile at you and I don't  think I've ever seen him smile at anyone -or anything else."

Sam's  lips pressed into a thin line, this time it took her a little longer to  throw out a dismissive shrug at her friend's words.