Part 13: Home Study Bubble Boy

"This is Max Goodwin- please a message after the tone."

"Max...I don't expect you to pick up...Hell so wouldn't after everything. But I wanted you to know that...huh...that I'm having...twins. I just thought you...well I mean I..."

Beeeep

***Five Months Later***

The first month home was hard.

I stayed to my room- but because my parents were worried about me being alone behind closed doors- they removed my door from my bedroom and removed all the sharp objects and medications from the house.

I felt like a child again.

But what do I expect from parents who have been through this before?

The sulking first month proved to them I was not a threat to myself.

That's when I got Helen's first message about the twins.

My heart twinged so hard in my chest that I could breathe.

Twins.

I never even told my parents about Helen.

I wanted to call her back. I truly did. But a part of me knew it would only...Hold her back. She needed to be able to focus without worrying about anything having to do with me.

****
"This is Max Goodwin. Please leave a message after the tone."

"Hey...it's um...it's me-again. I uh...I know it doesn't matter—it's really silly...but um...but I'm officially out of the first trimester...no red flags they said...I um...I just wanted to tell someone because um...well...I haven't told anyone at school or home...about the babies...so I um...I wanted to uh...to share my news...I..."

Beeep....

****
The second month (November) left me more bored than the first.

I tinkered on things that I once told Luna I'd fix, but never did.

I mean- what eight year old can get a go cart he found in the woods working properly again all by himself?

That was my first major project. It took me about two weeks to figure out what needed to be done to get it running. The next two weeks was fixing up the cosmetics of it all. I painted it neon green after her favorite color. I put flower stickers on the metal bars of the roll cage and spray painted the black leather seat hot pink. She would've loved it. Let me tell you what though- I drove it all around my neighborhood and everyone had a great laugh at a tall lanky 23 year old driving a very flamboyant and feminine go cart that was two sizes two small for him.

When I got Helen's message on Thanksgiving, I was over joyed. I dialed her number and waited, but canceled the call before she picked up.

I didn't want to influence her to keep calling. I figured anyhow that she would've flown home for holiday.

****

"This is Max Goodwin. Please leave a message after the tone."

"Merry Christmas! I hope you have a good holiday...I um...I flew home...to London I mean—course... you um...you knew that. I told my family tonight... I uh...I got an earful from my Mum...and Aunt Martha....they were really pissed...until they saw the sonogram. I just um...I wanted you to see it too...not that you asked too...anyway, I...."

Beeeep

****

The third month (December) greeted me warmly...sort of. Garvey and my other Professors reached out to me several times the two months prior- trying to get me to come back. I insisted being a doctor wasn't for me- and that public classes was no longer an interest of mine or for my mental health.