Part 14: Roomies

Slowly walking over to her bed, I set my things down on the floor beside mine and I stand near her feet. She just watches me- observes my slow cautious movements and calculates my next move.

"M...may I?" I gesture to the end of her bed and she cautiously agrees. Sitting down, I gently take her right foot begin massaging it gently. Her eyes close and she releases a deep breath as I press down from the pads of her toes to the heel of her foot. "So...the baby shower?"

"Oh...yeah- she um...she threw me one. It was different."

"What do you mean?"

"In the UK...mm...In the UK we wait until the baby arrives and is home before we have our showers."

"Why?"

"Because it's better than counting your chickens...mm...before they hatch." She moans slightly as I massage her feet.

"That's a bit...fucked up...but I guess it makes sense." Silence fills the room quickly and I switch to her left foot. "So um... how uh...how are they?"

Do I deserve this information?

No. Certainly not.

Do I still hope by some chance she'll share it with me though?

Yes. Most definitely.

"Growing...nonstop...crushing my bladder and lungs..." She huffs and digs under her pillow for another toffee.

"Well...you um...you look amazing."

"My ankles are swollen. My face is constantly puffy and covered in acne. I haven't shaved my downstairs kitty cat in months let alone seen it without a mirror and my teeth in the back are near Swiss cheese due to a lack of calcium despite taking supplements, doing every once of oral hygiene I can and drinking more milk than a baby elephant...and you think I look amazing? Phhh....piss off." She rambles off her complaints and sets the wrapper on the edge of the bet. "Not only all of that, but I'm constantly leaking colostrum from my breasts- which ruin all my nice shirts- which I've had to replace with god awful, ugly maternity clothes. I am forced into slippers and flip flops that have no arch support because I can't fit my fat foot into any other kind of shoe and I am riddled with hemorrhoids. Shall I stop? Or do you still think I look amazing?"

Ouch. That bite.

"Sorry..." I quietly apologize and notice her face twinge slightly as if something pricked her. "You okay?"

"Y...yeah...baby L just kicked me in the spleen a bit." She touches her side and I watch closely as she slides her shirt up just a bit where the perfect outline of a tiny foot is pressed to her taut skin.

It's amazing and it brings a few tears to my eyes.

"Every time I try to relax- one of them wants to have a bloody party on my kidneys." She looks up and catches my tearful staring. I look back to her foot I have in my hand and just massage it as I run to quickly dispose of my tears. "Max..."

"That must stink...not getting time to relax..." I change the subject and yet her gaze doesn't leave me.

"Max...d...do you...phh...would you like to feel?" Her voice is shaken and unsure as she asks me this.

"I...I d...do—but not if...if it'll make you...ya know...uncomfortable." Last thing I need is for her to feel obligated to let me do this when she wouldn't feel okay with it.

"Why would I be uncomfortable?" She asks me blankly and I my lips twitch as I look at her in her beautiful doe eyes.

"B...because...it's not...not my place too..." I feel so sick and nauseous being here like this after months of not seeing her.