1.3

{Tennessee, 2010}

{Tennessee, 2010}

Klaus followed the low hum of music and the flickering of lights to a gas station with one thing on his mind, blood.

A bell rang above his head as he pushed the door inward and the young girl behind the counter lifted her head at the sound.

"Good evening sir"  her accent was thick and her dark curls hung upon her shoulders.

"Evening" He made his way towards her, lifting a map of the state as he walked before placing it on the counter, alongside $100. The fake smile fell from her face at the crimson substance that stained his hands.

"Well that looks like the end of that conversation" he caught her neck and pulled her across the counter. His right hand curled around her mouth, muffling any possible screams, while his left held her in position by her hip. His teeth extended and he tore into her neck before his hunger became unbearable. After awhile her heartbeat grew faint and he briskly removed his grip.

Klaus searched around for the cctv controls before deciding to cut the electricity before it had the chance to save. He grabbed another copy of the Tennessee state map, some snacks for Nora and a small rubber duck for the dashboard of the car before making his way back to the van.

He noticed Nora's grimace at the sight of his face as he opened the drivers side door, Stefan simply shook his head, assuming klaus had simply lost his patience with his newly turned hybrid.

He entered the car, slamming the maps upon the dashboard and passing the small carrier bag to Nora before starting the engine, she muttered a quiet 'thank you' before inspecting the contents of the bag and while she appreciated them, the sight and stench of blood was enough to put her off food for weeks. Her concerns about the origin of the blood didn't aid her discomfort at all and it wasn't until she had exhausted every possible scenario that she spoke up.

"Where is he?" Klaus took his eyes off the road momentarily before readjusting his gaze upon the dimly lit road.

"What have you done to me?" Klaus looked up from the limp body in his arms to the source of the raspy and desperate sounding voice.

Streams of blood poured from his eyes, collecting in the corners of his mouth. A coarse cough escaped his throat, Greg quickly pulled his hand from his mouth, revealing a puddle of blood in the palm of his hand.

"What is happening to me?"

...

Klaus shook the thought from his mind. "He went rabid"

Nora frowned and her grip on Greg's phone loosened as the screen lit up, innocent brown eyes once again bore into her soul, but this time she could only imagine them full of tears.

"He bled out till I put him out of his misery" Blood hadn't quelled his rage at all, and he momentarily allowed it to consume him. Nora flinched as he slammed his fist upon the steering wheel.

"I did everything that I was told!" Klaus attempted to regain his composure "I should be able to turn them. I broke the curse. I killed a werewolf. I killed a vampire..."

Nora noticed Stefan shifting uncomfortably in his seat as Klaus spoke. "I killed the doppelgänger"

"Have you thought that maybe.. the universe is punishing you for hurting people" Klaus turned to her calmly, almost too calmly.

"You don't know half the things I've done sweetheart, so don't lecture me on good deeds- you're no angel yourself" Klaus snapped. He could feel Stefan's eyes lurking from the backseat, and he quickly caught his gaze in the rear view mirror. Stefan quickly looked away but Klaus maintained his stare, intrigued by the vehemence of his silent protest.

She frowned and sat up, stung by his harsh words. "You're like a man-child! You don't get your way you turn on everyone else. I haven't gotten my way this whole trip- Goddamn I don't even have a say in what I do! You're compelling me for gods sake!"

"You're very lucky that you're still alive- you should be grateful or I'll find a shallow grave for you too" Nora laughed dryly.

"Grateful? For what? The lack of sleep? Or how about the stale diner food? Don't forget the life threatening situations! I mean it's a joke-" she was stopped by the opening of her door. Stefan looked at her sympathetically, gesturing for her to get out.

"You're just going to get yourself hurt if you yell at him, take a nap and cool off" she huffed and unbuckled her seatbelt. She pushed past him, grabbing a blanket and pillow from the trunk before climbing into the back seat and curling up.

Klaus started the car once again and pulled off, refusing to look at the righteous vampire. He secretly despised the fact that Nora always listened to him, that she knew deep down he was always doing what was best for her..

Because it had the potential to ruin everything.