3.8

{Virginia, 2010}

Nora's thoughts were being pulled in twenty different directions, but one thing that she did know, was that she needed to leave. Luckily, her stuff was already packed and with the exception of her things from the apartment in New York which were in storage, she could essentially up and leave without any notice. She quickly sorted through a box, trying to put together a cohesive outfit before leaving, when a knock was heard on her bedroom door.

She looked up, half expecting Klaus to be stood there with a stupid smirk, before she brought herself back to reality. Stefan stared at her, concern evident in his eyes. "You should probably get out of here before they get home"

Nora nodded, pulling a pair of jeans from the box when Stefan continued. "You could stay with us"

She quickly shook her head. "I'm leaving"

"What?" Stefan frowned, stepping further into the room.

"There was never anything for me here, it was a means to an end and I'm at the end" she toyed with the strings of her pyjama bottoms.

"Look Nora, I understand if you need time to heal, but I meant what I said yesterday" she nodded. "I understand if you need time to live your life without me, and I understand if I have to wait for you."

"Stefan-" she interjected

"But I will wait for you Nora, and if you ever think your ready to face this again, or you just need me, my door will always be open and I will be ready for you" he stared at her, tears welling in his eyes.

"I'll keep in contact, and the same goes.. I'll always be there for you" Stefan nodded, a small smile playing on his lips.

"Let me help you with these boxes." Nora smiled as he lifted one and took it out to her car, as she began to change.

Damon was pacing infront of his own car, waiting on his younger brother. "Tell the princess to hurry up" he glanced at Stefan.

"She's not coming with us"

Damon rolled his eyes. "Well go back in there, pick her up and put her in the car"

Stefan shook his head. "She needs freedom right now"

"I thought you loved her?"

"I do, I'd go back to her in a heartbeat, but no matter what I go through, fighting my bloodlust, trying to gain control of my life again.." Damon furrowed his eyebrows.

"None of that matters if she still has feelings for Klaus, I can tell she's blaming herself right now, we both need time to heal before we rush into anything."

"You think too much" Damon rolled his eyes, getting into the car quickly as Stefan placed the box in Nora's trunk. He turned, watching as she came through the front door with the last box.

"Thank you Stefan" she smiled, giving him one last hug.

"You have my number, don't hesitate to call" she nodded quickly, smiling up at him. "Be safe"

"You too" she grinned, pulling away and getting into her car, the pair waved before she pulled off, ready to set off on her journey to freedom, as Stefan silently hoped this wouldn't be the last time he saw her.

──────── ✧ ────────

Nora walked along the lines and lines of storage lockers, searching for 1019. She tried to ignore the pit in her stomach as lights ahead of her turned on, but the quiet tapping of heeled shoes in the distance unsettled her even more. She persevered as she reached locker 999, laughing softly to herself at the meaning of the number.