3.2

{New York, 2011}

{New York, 2011}

"This place is cute." In an attempt to distract Nora from the terror of the night before, Klaus had promptly booked a one way flight to New York. While it worked in his own favour, he wouldn't tell her that. Rebekah was capable of dealing with Finn on her own while Klaus attended to more important matters.

"It is indeed" he smiled, sipping his wine.

Nora raised an eyebrow. "I know why you brought me here.. I told you, I'm okay"

"Don't be ridiculous, I brought you here so you could try their Cabernet" Klaus shook his head in disbelief while Nora simply laughed at his obvious lie. She looked up from her glass, and was slightly surprised to see Klaus' eyes already boring into hers. A wide grin spread across her face at the sudden eye contact and Klaus soon mirrored her expression.

"So what happened to your mother..?" Klaus'  smiley expression quickly turned stoic, as he pondered for a moment, never tearing his eyes from hers.

"I left my brothers to deal with her, I had a much more pressing matter to attend to" Nora blushed slightly, nodding.

"What was she trying to do?" Klaus broke their eye contact as he glanced towards his glass.

"Kill us, for once and for all" the girl sighed, sipping her wine.

"You're parents suck.." she attempted to diffuse the tension but Klaus' features remained cold. Nora regretted bringing the topic up at all, quickly trying to think of something to change the subject.

"You don't know the half of it" she frowned.

"You can talk to me about it" Klaus quickly shook his head.

"We mustn't divulge matters long passed" Nora half understood what he said and nodded, toying with the napkin that lay upon the table.

"Shall we get the bill?" He perked up slightly, in an attempt to return the night to its former glory. Nora smiled and nodded, grabbing her purse from her bag but she was quickly stopped by Klaus grip.

"Don't be silly sweetheart, I've got it covered"

──────── ✧ ────────

They walked in a comfortable silence, both too lost in their own thoughts to converse. Klaus ensured she stayed close by intertwining their fingers as they walked. Her warmth comforted him, while his thumb that ran across her knuckles soothed Nora, as her mind whirred at a mile a minute attempting to piece together the clues of Klaus' past. People rushed by, even at this time of the evening as the pair walked nonchalantly, towards the hotel Klaus had booked for the evening.

"I feel like you know everything about me.. but I know barely anything about you.." she glanced up at him. "I'm not pushing you at all, but it must be draining to keep that all inside"

Klaus shook his head, quickly dismissing her claim. "Don't worry about it"

Nora sighed, shaking her head. "Why do you do that?"

Klaus raised an eyebrow, looking down at the girl.

"Push everyone away.." Klaus didn't say anything as the pair entered the hotel, leaving Nora to answer the question her self as they stood silently within the elevator. As they reached their floor, she tore her hand from his and made her way to the door, promptly grabbing the room key from her purse.

"Nora..." he followed briskly behind her as she entered the room.

"No! Don't Nora me, You've kept me here for weeks, you've let me see who you are- and-" Nora let out a dry laugh, throwing her purse onto her bed. "..now that I have- you're scared to let me in!"

Klaus sighed, running a hand through his hair. "If you knew even a fraction of who I am it would break you in two"

Nora couldn't help but laugh. "You've got some parental issues- big deal!" Klaus rolled his eyes, turning his back to the girl. But Nora wasn't done with the conversation, but as she grabbed his arm, she wasn't prepared for what she would see.

Flashes of Klaus past played before her, too fast for her to even comprehend; Klaus crying out, being chained up, being beaten by Mikael, watching as Rebekah drank blood for the first time, Klaus cradling the dead body of a young boy. Harrowing images played on repeat within their minds and Nora began to eat her words for underestimating the torment of Klaus' youth.

As he realised what was happening, Klaus quickly pulled away from the girl. Shock and horror evident upon his face, which was mirrored by Nora. Silence settled among the pair, as both were to afraid to utter a word.

"You had me pegged from the start" he choked out, terrified of how she might react now that she had seen who he really was. "A man damaged by his demons and those demons are not dormant, they are hell-bent on killing me.. and everything I find beautiful. And you.."

Nora stared at Klaus, her eyes brimming with tears as he stepped closer towards her. "You are beautiful.." He reached out, wiping the tears that ran down her cheek, before quickly shaking his head and speeding out out the room, leaving Nora with nothing but an empty room for comfort.

_________

I can't upload gifs🤬🤬🤬
So enjoy this gifless, late chapter🥰

-Mel<3