2.0

{Mystic falls, 2010}

Nora had fallen asleep after her conversation with Klaus, a mix of her eventful night and the emotions and mania of the past few weeks finally catching up with her. Klaus glanced over at her, a small section of hair that he had previously brushed behind her ear had retuned to its original position across her cheek as the soft glow of the street lights highlighted the pathway of her dried tears.

Klaus didn't believe he was heartless, he just had empathy for very few, 1000 years of loving had taught him that caring for people was nothing but a weakness for others to exploit. He knew how to mask his emotions, even when it came to his family- which was his strange way of protecting them, even when they couldn't see it. After all, he'd prefer to be the villain than to be without them.

Because being alone was Klaus Mikaelson's greatest fear.

Apart from his family, he had cared for all but two others in his long life but seeing Nora cry, hurt him more than he had anticipated, with each tear that fell from her eyes- his heart tightened. He contemplated as he drove, wondering why the girl had such a hold on him- after all that wasn't apart of the plan.

Pulling into the Mystic Falls Hospital, he shook the thought from his head. He truly had all the time in the world to figure it out.

He noticed Rebekah perched upon the hood of a pickup in the parking lot, just where she had promised him she would be. He parked up, getting out of the car quietly in an attempt to allow Nora all the sleep she could get and made his way towards his little sister.

"Took you long enough" she called out.

"I'm here now aren't I?" She rolled her eyes. "You did as I asked?"

Rebekah rolled her eyes. "You can practically smell the blood Nik" he nodded and looked towards the skyline. Mystic falls was an utterly boring town, even before it received its dreadful name. Klaus was itching to get out and see the world again, with an army of hybrids at his side.

"So the doppelgänger isn't the problem. Her blood is the solution." Rebekah tilted her head, looking at her brother.

"Seems so." He shrugged, glancing towards Nora's sleeping frame.

"How did you know?" Klaus stepped towards his sister, resting his arm upon the bonnet of the truck.

"Well, you know how much the original witch hated me." Rebekah silently agreed "Do you honestly think I would do anything other than the opposite of what she says?"

Rebekah smirked, turning to him. "A thousand years in the grave and she's still screwing with you."

"Well, it makes sense if you think about it from her perspective." She raised an eyebrow as Klaus leant against the truck.

"It was her fail-safe in case I ever broke the hybrid curse. The doppelgänger had to die in order for me to become a hybrid, but if she was dead..."

"Then you couldn't use her blood to sire yourself a new species." He nodded.

"Leaving me alone for all time."

"Is that what this is about? Your obsession with hybrids? You just don't want to be alone?"  She frowned, she still held a grudge toward Klaus for keeping her daggered for so long, but it upset Rebekah that he didn't see the potential of his real family.

Klaus sighed, turning away from his sister. "What I want is to take my girl, take my hybrid the hell out of this one-pony town."

"You know, why don't you, uh, why don't you get the car? I'll get Elena." He turned back to look at her as she rolled her eyes and jumped from the hood of the truck, walking past him.

Klaus waited until Rebekah was out of ear shot before addressing the physical form of the pain in his behind.

"Well, look who finally decided to show up to the party." He smirked turning to the shadowy figure.

Damon Salvatore stepped into the light and made his way hesitantly towards Klaus. "Where is she?"

"Elena? Ah, she's making a donation to a greater cause." Damon, not having time for anymore chit chat began to make his way toward the entrance to the Hospital.

Klaus placed a firm hand on his chest. "I'm afraid I can't let you interfere, mate."

"You'll have to kill me." The raven-haired man spoke irritatedly.

"Oh, I would love to kill you" Klaus chuckled.

"But I made a pledge to your brother, and unlike him, I keep my word. Although, you know what, thinking about it now, he probably doesn't care that much anymore." Klaus pushed a determined Damon into the hood of the closest car, raising his hand just above Damon's rib cage.

"Don't you want to know about your friend Mikael?" Damon choked out, causing Klaus to stop in his tracks.

"What do you know about Mikael?" He growled.

"Just that he knows you're here." Klaus tightened his grip on Damon's neck.

"You're bluffing." He rose an eyebrow.

"Katherine and I found him. Consider it our leverage." Klaus promptly snapped his neck, leaving him to slide down the hood of the car as he made his way back to his own.

This time he made no attempt to remain silent as he closed the door and started the car. Nora sat up groggily and looked over at the hybrid.

"What's going on?" She rubbed her eyes.

"Fancy a quick trip?" Nora shrugged, not fully understanding the question in her sleepy state.

"Good, we're heading to New York"