3.7

{Mystic falls, 2010}

"Mystic falls wasn't the first place you met him"

Stefan looked at the girl, honestly unsure of how she would react. But Klaus' reaction at the dance had reassured him that Nora was oblivious to what he was about to reveal.

"What?.., if you mean my doppelgänger, I know about her" Stefan shook his head.

"Then what do you mean?" She raised an eyebrow. Stefan glanced at her, struggling to hold back everything he had suppressed since the day his memories returned. 

"Since you showed up on my door step Nora, I've been trying to figure out why I didn't come back to you" She furrowed her eyebrows as he continued. "I couldn't explain it, because I did love you Nora, I wasn't unhappy"

"Stefan will you just get to the point" she frowned, the familiar pit in her stomach returning.

"Klaus found us in New York, and he compelled me to leave you" Stefan toyed with his hands, not wanting to look at her. Nora couldn't decide whether she was hurt, angry, heartbroken or experiencing all 3 at once. "To leave and never look back, to fall for the first girl I ran into, which happened to be Elena"

"Why would he do that?" She asked, questioning herself rather than Stefan.

"I can't be certain.. but- you said he told you about Iris?" Nora nodded. "What did he tell you?"

"That you loved her.." Stefan chuckled dryly, causing Nora to frown. "What's funny?"

"He must have missed the part about him loving her too" Nora sighed, she had sensed the competitive nature between the pair, but she never anticipated it stemming from a woman.

"He hated that she chose me in the end.. coincidentally the day before she was killed" Nora shook her head quickly.

"Mikael killed her" Stefan nodded.

"Yeah, but I don't think Klaus would have been far behind if he hadn't" she frowned.

"He wouldn't do that Stefan" Stefan looked at her, his stare portraying his seriousness. "Why are you only telling me this now.. you've known for weeks"

"I thought you'd figure it out on your own.. and I doubted you would believe me" he maintained his gaze, hoping she could see the honestly within his eyes.

"So what changed?" Nora knew Stefan would never lie to her, certainly about a topic as serious as this, but she still questioned his motives.