1.6

{Chicago, 2010}

{Chicago, 2010}

After a lot of catching up, shocking revelations and copious glasses of bourbon, Stefan was now finally able to piece together his time in Chicago with the help of the removal of Klaus' compulsion. Suspicion mounted among Stefan and Nora, as Klaus grew more careful with his choice of words and what he chose to reveal to them. Both had realised a long time ago that this trip wasn't as simple as they had first anticipated. Klaus had a motive, and it was dangerous.

They had left Stefan to his own devices as images of the dark period came back in waves and now Nora was unsure of whether to speak or not, one small slip of the tongue could open a rather large can of worms. Despite her loathing of him, Nora was almost relieved she too wasn't left alone, in a strange city surrounded by strange people. Klaus did enjoy forcing a conversation even when it was obvious the other participant wasn't too keen.

"You would have loved the 1920s" he spoke, shifting his eyes to her as he sipped his bourbon. He was repulsive at times, she was certain that smirk of his would haunt her for the rest of her days. But sometimes the mask fell, and if you weren't paying close enough attention you would miss the slightly less putrid side of Klaus Mikaelson- the side that Nora wished she could learn more about. Although the last thing Nora wished to do was to know Klaus rather, she was wanted to understand why he hid that part of himself. Weakness. She thought.

"From what I know, it seemed fun" he chuckled. What she also knew, was that Klaus despised weakness. He had to be brave at all times- never letting the mask slip. Which is partly why at times she was shocked when he showed an inkling of kindness or even a smile.

"What the history books don't know, that's what makes it legendary" Nora laughed lightly, as Gloria called for last orders at the bar.

"You should write a book you know.." there was that smirk again, Nora almost rolled her eyes at the sight. "I'm serious, you've lived like.. 10 lifetimes. You must have an endless amount of stories"

"Most are not suitable for your average reader" just as soon as the corners of his lips upturned into a small smile, they fell again.

"I see they've opened the doors to the riff-raff now" a man that Nora recognised from her second trip to the Salvatore house as Damon, stepped towards them.

"Oh, honey, I've been called worse." The small vile of blood she had delivered seemed to have done it's job, as now he was upright and looking much healthier than he did that night.

"You don't give up, do you?" Klaus pulled the tiny umbrella from Nora's cocktail and began rolling it between his fingertips as she began to protest but was shot down with his cadaverous glare.

"Give me my brother back...You'll never have to see me again." Damon sat on the stool on the other side of Klaus.

"Well, I am torn. You see, I promised Stefan I wouldn't let you die, but how many freebies did I really sign up for?" Nora sat quietly planning her escape routes, anticipating for the conversation to turn violent. "And clearly you want to die, otherwise you wouldn't be here, so..."

"What can I say? I'm a thrill-seeker." Damon's smirk was almost as patronising as Klaus'. He seemed to finally notice her, sending a wink in her direction.

Klaus quickly stood from his seat, pulling Damon with him in what seemed like milliseconds and held him above his head by the throat.

"Oh, dear, what was that? I'm boozey, so you'll forgive me if I miss your heart the first few tries" Klaus reached over to her, lifting the small cocktail umbrella from the bar top and began plunging it into Damon's stomach.

"Ohh! No, that's not it. Hmm." Damon grunted in pain as Klaus began to drag the toothpick upwards and towards his heart "Ohh. Almost."

"You want a partner in crime? Forget Stefan. I'm so much more fun." Nora looked around the bar and was astounded by the seemingly unfazed costumers, as if this was a daily occurrence.

Klaus threw him backwards and into a table, that then split and crashed upon the floor, along with Damon. He pulled one of the legs from the table to use as a makeshift stake and crouched over him.

"..Klaus" she stood in an attempt to stop him, but the look on his face was enough to silence her.

Now was not the time to intervene.

"You won't be any fun after you're dead." Holding Damon down with a firm hand on his chest, Klaus began to raise the stake. Nora looked away, not wanting to see him die, but as she heard a small grunt she looked up to see Klaus with an even angrier look and the stake alight upon the floor.

"You should listen to the girl.." Klaus rolled his eyes.

"Really!?" Klaus sighed defeatedly as Gloria stepped towards them.

"Not in my bar. You take it outside." Damon attempted to sit up but was abruptly stopped by Klaus pushing him back down.

"You don't have to negotiate your brother's freedom. When I'm done with him, he won't want to go back." He removed his hand and turned to Nora.

"We're leaving" and with that, he grabbed his jacket from the stool and stormed out of Gloria's.