1.9

{Mystic Falls, 2010}

As it began to reach the early hours of the morning, Nora had retired to yet another of Klaus' vehicles, a car which was parked on the grounds of the high school. She had began to grow tired- in general and of Klaus and his killing.

Although he had graciously spared the majority of the high school population, he had turned a boy named Tyler. Nora winced as his body fell to the floor, as she knew he wouldn't survive it, but what disturbed her even more was that Klaus knew that aswell.

So when he challenged Bonnie, a witch, to finding a solution, she simply couldn't watch anymore, briskly standing and marching towards him as the girl left the gym.

"I'm leaving" he turned his attention from a dark haired girl, who Nora recognised from the Salvatore boarding house.

"We're just getting started sweetheart" a rotten smirk was plastered across his face.

"I'm not going to sit here while-" her breath caught in her throat as Stefan attempted to sneak into the gym, closing the door behind him quietly. Their eyes met for a brief moment
before he averted his gaze towards Elena.

"Stefan.." Elena whispered quietly, almost in disbelief. Klaus turned from Nora and looked at him.

"Come to save your damsel, mate?" Stefan made his way towards the hybrid. Nora furrowed her eyebrows, whilst trying to suppress a faint blush which threatened to manifest itself upon her cheeks.

"I came to ask for your forgiveness. And pledge my loyalty." Klaus chuckled at his words.

"Well, you broke that pledge once already." Elena began to step towards the trio, but quickly stopped as Stefan sent her a harsh glare.

"Elena means nothing to me anymore. And whatever you ask of me..." Nora's face fell. She wasn't the damsel. Elena was. "I will do."

"Fair enough. Let's drink on it."' Klaus passed Nora and made his way towards the two students he had compelled previously. "Kill them. What are you waiting for? Kill them."

"No! Stefan, don't. He's not going to hurt me. He already said..." Klaus rushed at her, hitting her so hard she fell to the floor- almost in slow motion. Nora winced, just as Stefan rushed at Klaus with those familiar dark veins beneath his eyes, baring his fangs.

"She means nothing to you? Your lies just keep piling up." Klaus struggled with him for a moment before holding him by his throat.

"Let her go! I'll do whatever you want, you have my word!" Stefan struggled not speak under Klaus harsh grip. Klaus eyes met Nora's, unable to ignore the pain within them. He quickly shook his head and focused on Stefan once again.

"Your word doesn't mean much. I lived by your word all summer, during which time I never had to resort to this..." Nora watched as his stare intensified and as Stefan clung to the words Klaus spoke.

"Stop fighting."

"Don't do this, don't do this." Stefan mumbled.

Nora watched as Elena began to sit up, watching in horror as Stefan gasped for air.

"I didn't want to. All I wanted was your allegiance. Now I'm going to have to take it." He smirked.

"Don't...Don't..." Stefan's eyes widened as Klaus stepped closer to him and very slightly loosened his grip.

"You will do exactly as I say when I say it. You will not run, you will not hide, you will simply just obey."  Stefan hung to every word as Klaus removed his hand from his throat.

"No. Stefan!" Elena cried out as all emotion appeared to fade from his eyes.

Klaus raised an eyebrow. "Now kill them. Ripper."

The veins beneath his eyes returned once again as he rushed past Elena and began to feed upon the high schoolers.

Klaus stepped towards a horrified Nora who had began to make her way towards the gym doors. He took her wrist gently.

She turned to him as he placed a set of keys in the palm of her hand. "There's a car in the parking lot.. I'll be out soon"

She nodded briskly and exited the gym.

──────── ✧ ────────

Around an hour later he had returned to the car with a smug look plastered upon his face. Klaus looked at her but she was turned away and looking out of the window.

"It's truly fascinating- the only thing stronger than my compulsion.. was his love for Elena" Nora had managed to piece together rather quickly that Elena was the girl Stefan had left New York for. The girl he had left her for. The girl that klaus had supposedly killed. The past few weeks had began to resurface, painfully slow.

Everything that Stefan had said and every small glimmer of hope that they would one day return to what they had, became nothing more than empty promises. She almost hadn't realised she was crying but as a tear ran along her hand that was holding her face up, she attempted to quickly wipe them away before Klaus could see.

She cleared her throat. "Are we done here?"

Klaus turned to her, removing the keys from the ignition. "if that is what you wish... but we both-"

"Just stop Klaus. Admit that this was a waste of time." She sniffled quietly, as Klaus noticed her tear stained cheeks in the reflection of the window. "Stefan wasn't protecting me from you. He was protecting Elena. You took the wrong girl"

He hooked his finger under her chin and turned her face towards him.

"Despite what you might think- Your relationship with Stefan is not the sole reason you are here right now."

"Then why am I here Klaus?" surprisingly she didn't feel embarrassed crying in front of him, she allowed the tears to roll silently down her cheeks as he spoke.

"Because you're special Nora.." his stare was intense, his hand had moved from under her chin to the side of her face as he soothingly brushed the tears from her cheek.

"If I'm so special then why did he leave? Why didn't he come back?" More tears threatened to spill from her eyes.

"Forget about him.. don't let him upset you" for once his eyes held empathy. An emotion Nora had never seen him display.

"That's easy for you to say.. you've never been in love" she frowned, rolling her eyes.

"Of course I have" he chuckled quietly. "I do have a heart Nora"

"But he just left Klaus.. I mean- it's like I meant nothing to him and now I have to go back there and pretend like nothing happened. If I even still have somewhere to live. I haven't paid my rent in like 3 months." Nora sighed. She had allowed herself to become lost in the fantasy of reuniting with Stefan so much that she had forgotten that the real world existed.

"Then don't go back" She had been following Klaus and Stefan around now for almost 3 months and the thought of returning to her life- without Stefan almost shattered her heart completely.

"And go where" she looked at the hybrid.

"Anywhere love.. you're free"