3.0

{Mystic Falls, 2010}

Klaus was quickly caught up in conversation with anyone and everyone they passed on their way to the kitchen and although Nora could listen to him speak until the end of time, she felt out of place, standing on the sidelines of each conversation. So when they were interrupted once again, she silently excused herself and made her way outside - away from the prying eyes of those indoors. She sat upon a bench for a few moments, drowning out the chatter and music from inside and watched the stars. But the sound of whinnying caught her attention.

She made her way down the garden path, where she found a solitary horse. A small smile played upon her lips as she ran her fingers through its mane.

"Beautiful.." she heard a familiar voice call out. Nora grinned, turning to the man.

"They are, aren't they?" Klaus chuckled softly, stepping towards the girl and handing her a glass of champagne. "..like gental giants"

"They are yes.. but I was talking about you" he flashed a smile, as Nora looked back at the horse in order to hide her wide grin.

"A pretty dress can work wonders" she glanced up at Klaus, who hadn't taken his eyes off of her from the moment he had stepped foot outside. He stood in-front of her and gently stroked the horses back. "Thank you by the way.. I don't know what I would have worn"

"Anything for you" he smiled small.

"I have you to thank for a lot of things" she sipped her champagne, slightly grimacing at the taste.

Klaus lightly chuckled at her reaction. "Like?"

"Helping me realise I'm my own person, I clung to Stefan for such a long time and if it wasn't for you, taking me away from that security I don't know if I would have ever realised my own potential."

Klaus nodded, silently begging her to go on.

"I felt like he was the only person in the world who understood me, but then I met you" He raised an eyebrow.

"You pretend that you don't care about anyone or anything- but you do. Whether it's because you see it as a weakness or you don't want to get hurt, I'm not sure but I think you care a hell of a lot more than you'd care to admit."

Klaus opened his mouth to speak, but hesitated for a moment. "I invited you here tonight because, I couldn't imagine being here with anyone else"

Nora couldn't help but smile at his words.

"You're beautiful, strong.. full of light and I enjoy your company.. I enjoy you" Nora allowed him to see the large smile that spread across her face, and the slight flush upon her cheeks. Klaus smiled stepping towards her, brushing a small piece of hair behind her ear.

"I have found myself struggling to get you off my mind" she smiled and nodded, being familiar with the feeling.

"I know Stefan's words have made you apprehensive, but I don't want you to let him confuse you Nora. Not anymore" she sighed, looking away. Klaus quickly took a step back.

"It's hard you know? He was the reason I wasn't going to come tonight" Klaus nodded.

"I think I just need to close that chapter in my life" she looked up at the blonde, who was staring at her in anticipation of her next words. She glanced past him, seeing Elena and Stefan down by the lake.

The discussion appeared heated, and Elena started to make her way inside as Nora began to speak. She looked back at Klaus. "Would you excuse me for a moment?"

He nodded and watched as she made her way down to the lake, wishing he had said what he truly wanted to say.

"Stefan?" Nora let the hem of her dress fall from her grip as she stood infront of the tall brunette. He raised an eyebrow, glancing towards her.

"We need to talk.."

"Maybe when your pet isn't watching from afar" Nora glanced over her shoulder to see Klaus, still stood in the same spot.

"He's just looking out for me" she shook her head, looking back at the vampire.

"I think he needs to figure out that you can look after yourself." The pair stayed silent, Nora was unsure of how to reply, while Stefan was simply bored of the conversation already.

"Okay.. so talk" he muttered, rolling his eyes.

"You really don't feel anything?" She questioned. Stefan shook his head at the question, releasing a sigh as he frustratedly ran a hand through his hair.

"How do you do it? Act like you don't care, like you don't feel anything? Because I know I should hate you.. but I can't, I feel everything."

"Nora, stop" the blonde shook her head.

"I just don't believe that you don't feel anything"

"What? You think I want to be this person? I hurt you, Nora. I almost killed you. I hate myself for what I did to you." For the first time in weeks, Stefan's face wasn't cold and heartless, but Nora wasn't sure that his sad expression wasn't any better.

"What are you trying to achieve by making me hate you? By convincing me you don't care" she pleaded, her desperation clear in her voice.

"Just stop, I can't." He shook his head, stepping past the girl.

"Stefan.." she turned, watching as he walked away.

"If I let myself care, all I feel is pain." He turned back to look at the girl, who had tears brimming in her eyes.

──────── ✧ ────────

Thank you for all the support over the past few days it's been insane! 

-Mel<3