2.2

{New York, 2010}

{New York, 2010}

"So where do we go from here?" Nora picked at the food in front of her as her gaze flickered from Klaus' searing blue eyes and her plate.

"Well, now I am certain I can mass-produce hybrids, it will be taking up a lot of my time" Klaus smirked.

"I mean specifically us, and this arrangement. You promised Stefan 10 long years of being your minion and I assumed as much- but he seems pretty free right now"

"Au contraire. He is still under my control" Nora sighed, rolling her eyes.

"I get it, you're the bad guy.. all I want to know-"

He nodded. "I know.. the truth is Nora, you have always been free. I just never believed that freedom was what you truly wanted." She avoided his eyes, sipping from her glass. "I have wolf packs lined up across the country and I will turn them until I run out of blood. Then I will return to mystic falls for more."

"I know I have not been open and honest with you. But you do have a part to play Nora, and not only that, I would like to have you at my side."

"But what role do I play Klaus? What is the bigger picture here? This isn't just about hybrids anymore"

He shook his head. "It isn't.. but unfortunately Nora I cannot-"

She groaned, setting her fork down. "You can! You're just scared. There isn't any greater evil- you're afraid."

Klaus frowned, leaning back in his seat.

"I just don't understand why you're so secretive all the time, I'm sitting here with you aren't I? I have no interest in running" Nora frustratedly ran a hand through her hair.

"And that is what concerns me.. how quickly you stopped fighting. I stole you from your fairytale and it's like you didn't seem to notice"

"It was far from a fairytale- and we both know that" she sighed, staring at her lap.

"You're pushing your anger and confusion about why Stefan left away and getting lost in trying to figure me out, that isn't healthy Nora. One day it will come crashing in and- it will change you" he maintained his gaze, Nora could feel his eyes burning holes upon her skin.

She scoffed. "You're probably the last person I'd take advice from.."

Klaus sighed, laying his fork across his plate.
".. and there you go shutting me out again"

Nora laughed.

"All you do is shut people out Klaus" she looked at him. "Have fun with your hybrids-" she began grabbing her coat when a strong hand gripped hers.

"Nora.." she stared at him, watching his eyes shift nervously as he thought of what to say. "Please"

She looked at the man... almost in shock. He had changed over the past few days, or her perception of him had at-least. He seemed less threatening, and more of a friend. Nora now understood that his standoffish, cold demeanour was an act and it always had been, in some sort of attempt to maintain fear among her and Stefan, painting himself as the monster from under their beds.

The previous night, she couldn't deny she had fun with him. For months, the prospect of returning to the apartment she and Stefan had shared, terrified her. The apartment that once represented warmth and love, and brought to mind almost all of Nora's happiest memories, was now just 4 walls that reminded her of her isolation. It haunted her dreams each night as she and Stefan moved inches closer towards finding each other once more. She thought of returning to it, hundreds of time, Each time the apartment became more cold and hollow. But yesterday, Klaus had made the task less daunting and the small smile that played upon his lips and his quick remarks, brightened up the grey space, bit by bit.

Nora questioned if Klaus felt the same way about his hybrids. Perhaps he too didn't want to face it alone.

She sighed, sitting back in her seat. Klaus removed her hand from his grip.

"I'll go with you.. but only if you answer some questions first-" Nora cut Klaus off as he began to interject. "I just want a bit of honesty before you drag me across the country again"

Klaus sighed, folding his arms across his chest in defeat. "Go ahead"

"Was running into me that day intentional?" She raised an eyebrow, the thought had been dwelling within her mind for weeks.

Klaus shook his head.

"No, I did plan for you to join us eventually, just not at that point. You just happened to be in the right place at the right time"

She nodded, taking in the information while thinking of her next question.

"Why did you paint the illusion of trust while having me compelled. You told me that you wanted me to know 'what I felt was real'. What does that mean?" Klaus smirked, she had a good attention for detail.

"I do want you to trust me. But understand that I had to be sure that I could rely on you- and the only way to do that was to have you compelled" he shrugged.

She stared at him, enticing him to go on.

Klaus sighed reluctantly. "What I meant was- I knew you'd find out you were compelled and on the occasion that we became ...friends, I didn't want you to believe that I had compelled you to do so"

"Okay.. one more. How many times have you compelled me? Have you made me forget?" He shook his head.

Nora nodded. "If I think of anymore I'll make sure to let you know" she fiddled with the hem of her shirt.

Klaus smiled softly, beginning to count the bills within his wallet.

"Oh and- I'm not sleeping in the car unless I have to" he raised an eyebrow, and Nora maintained her gaze.

He chuckled "you're awfully demanding"

Nora smiled as she began to pull on her jacket, watching as Klaus placed a generous tip upon the table.