X / lachesism

lachesism

n.

the desire to be struck by disaster 

schlatt

//

schlatt tapped his foot, waiting for minx.

everyone else had already left the common room for the ball.

what was taking her so long?

they'd be late at best, and schlatt wasn't even the one minx had asked out, but she insisted on them walking together. hopefully, the near stranger he'd been hoping on asking out was still available or dumped last second. 

finally, minx came running down, high heels in her hands. she wore a maroon dress that's skirt covered below her feet, yet had a slit running to about  her knee for movement. "sorry, sorry. couldn't find these pieces of shit."

"sure, whatever. took you fuckin' long enough." schlatt grumbled, heading out. 

it was strangely quiet, the empty walls of paintings reminding him of the second time he'd ever interacted with wilbur, and how kind the taller boy had been. god, this was a sad excuse for a crush, but it was almost like falling in love at first sight, which he didn't even believe in. schlatt wouldn't want to admit it, but here he was, standing in a hallway thinking about some dumb, tall, lanky british boy like he was some girl in highschool fawning over harry styles. 

to be honest, he was so ashamed of himself. 

yet, he couldn't stop himself from falling head over heels for someone he knew nothing about, especially someone who could just easily reject him because they'd only ever spoke twice.

schlatt doubted wilbur believed in love at first sight.

though schlatt himself didn't either.

"hold on! seriously, these shoes are a fuckin' pain in the ass." minx called to schlatt, who'd been wandering ahead in his own thoughts. oops.

"whatever! we're late enough already, we gotta go." schlatt shouted back, but stopped for a minute for minx despite his words. he could already hear the music from here, faint, but still loud. he never understood how the softest of classical music could be so loud.

"rude. be nice to the lucky lady! i got a date for once, unlike you." minx ran for schlatt, boasting about her date. she'd tried to keep it secret to surprise from schlatt, but after she came home from some pretty princess picnic date, which somehow happened to include wilbur, it became pretty clear minx was also in love with a pretty person and was also set on asking her to the yule. just that she wasn't embarrassed, and wasn't afraid of looking stupid.

"oh come on, i've had someone the past few yule balls. just didn't feel like asking someone this year." schlatt shrugged, heading down a final set of stairs. 

minx scoffed. "bullshit! you're totally in love with someone. c'mon, don't deny me."

schlatt's brain rushed to a stop. no way he was being that obvious. not possible.

he had to remind himself it was a joke for a split second.

"ugh, go back to being the lucky lady. i hate it when you try to figure out my love life." schlatt groaned, weaving his way around a couple that seemed like they were literally breeding in the hall. he wrinkled his nose, disgusted, but knowing of the fact it wouldn't be the yule ball without disgusting kids making out. 

"but man, i really am lucky." minx started, getting all mushy gushy. 

he rolled his eyes. "god, i feel bad for her."