XI / monachopsis

monachopsis

n.

the subtle yet persistent feeling of being out of place

wilbur

//

wilbur sighed, falling onto the rough leather couch in the common room. he felt more drowsy than expected, and his mind was buzzing with new thoughts and emotions from the night. a particular feeling hadn't left his stomach, and a fuzzy warmth remained on his face.

niki sat herself next to wilbur, slightly worn out, but still fidgeting in excitement. she seemed to be having a good time, even though the ball felt long over. yet— he still felt a similar giddiness. and, somehow, niki also noticed.

"what're you so happy about?" she spoke, looking over with warm eyes. she was definitely a little more happy than him, probably due to the more eventful night. well, hopefully more.

he kept silent for a minute, studying her a little more. her dress had a lot of small, pretty details. "what are you so happy about?"

she smiled in response. "i think i've just had the best night i've had, like, ever."

"really? wow, i don't think i can believe it."

"wilbur!" she gasped, lightly punching him. "really, i did! i had so much fun."

wilbur laughed. "okay, okay. i'm getting jealous." he— hopefully— joked. although not dancing was his fault. technically. he didn't want to blame it on himself, but he couldn't help it. it was just a little too flustering just standing next to jonathan schlatt and listening to him ask to dance. he wanted to, really, but it just felt.. weird, almost.

"mhm, surre. but seriously, you should've asked someone out you liked. you would've had fun."

should've listened to jonathan.

"hey! i had plenty of fun." wilbur scoffed.

"did you just sit around all night?" she giggled.

"no, i was with um, jonathan." he smiled, recalling the events of the night.

niki pretended to be shocked. "really? wow, you stood around with someone else."

"listen, i had a great night standing around with someone else." wilbur turned to face niki, who still wore a smile.

yet, she also wouldn't have it. "you two looked miserable."

he froze for a second, maybe longer. it felt longer.

"you were watching?"

"minx was, i think. i think he likes you, wilbur." she suggested, briefly pausing. "well, minx made it seem like that."

wilbur kept silent for a bit, lost in thought. it felt ridiculous, but at the same time he had also bumped into the boy, let him sleep in his bed for a reason he couldn't find— yet thinks he knows it now— and hung out with him all night and played oblivious to being asked out. maybe it wasn't that ridiculous, but if both of them were in love, why was it so sudden? and, why did it feel so familiar, yet so strange?

then again, they both bumped into each others lives, literally. and he only ignored it for what reason? that he was too flustered, in a sense?

he wrinkled his nose. too much thinking. "you think?" he asked meekly.

"i do, a little more now." she chuckled. "you're very oblivious, y'know?"

wilbur let out a quiet laugh in response. "yeah, i think i get that now."

the sounds of the crackling fire that wouldn't quite go out yet filled the room, and left the duo in silence. what a strange, but enjoyable, night. although, wilbur appreciated it more now that it was over.

"i think i'm gonna head in for the night." niki spoke up, sitting up and rubbing her eyes.

wilbur nodded. "okay. it's getting late anyways."

she got up, lingering around the couch and watching wilbur get up. they stood and stared for a second, but waved and went their separate ways.

sitting on the nearly untouched bed, wilbur couldn't help but remember the night, well morning, of when he let jonathan in here and in his bed. it was a horrible day, but thinking about how peaceful he looked while just laying there. it felt so surreal. a strange order of events really just led up to this.

and yeah, maybe he was way too embarrassed to say yes to the other, and yes, he really wanted to, but didn't know how. it was so hard to describe yet it was so easy.

and yeah, maybe he was in love.

--

HEYYYYY its been a lot longer than a week IM SO SORRY

have.... your fluffy chapter in response..... sorry for.. depriving you all from your romance fantasies 

ALSO! HAVE A NICE WEEK <3 TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!!!!