Chapter Thirty: Gaius Mothen

❝It was the magic 

It was the magic 

of the earth itself; 

the most primal, raw magic there is.

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 30

Gaius Mothen

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Lucius Malfoy and Jasper Greengrass on their own had a hefty amount of influence at the Ministry, but together they walked like gods. From the moment they saw each other at the Ministry, the surrounding air buzzed with the faintest murmur of rapid whispers, leaving me to trail behind them like a house elf. Lucius rolled his eyes, half annoyed at the first sight of me. But after a snarky comment about Harry having a pleasant summer with his muggle family, it faded away. There were more important things to be worried about than my friend costing him one of his many house elves.

Normally we all would have needed to check in as guests and get our wands inspected upon arrival, but as members of the Sacred Twenty-Nine Families formalities like that could be waved off like a joke. Last names like Malfoy, Greengrass and Vaile were permits to ascend beyond the surrounding commoners.

The suffocating cloud of privilege around our trio made it clear to any of the ministry workers that may have attempted to get into the elevator with us that it was a foolish fantasy. Fine stock like us would never allow dirty blood to fit themselves beside us like an overstuffed can of sardines. When the elevator door closed, the two men finally stopped whispering and spoke aloud audibly.

"They decided to meet in the minister's briefing room rather than a courtroom and kept the involved members to a minimum," Uncle Jasper announced, pressing the button with a worn number two. We began our ascent to the second floor where the Minister and his staff worked.

"Well, of course they did. They don't want word getting out, they fear a little girl," Lucius rolled his eyes and lightly flicked the baby blue ribbon tied in my hair, "Fudge is already a joke to anyone with half a brain. The last thing he needs is word getting out that he fears a doe eyed school girl. Pathetic, really."

"Consider it a blessing, Friend. Our lives would be much harder if he possessed the other half of his brain," Uncle Jasper smirked ever so slightly.

"Or, much more costly. Even the smartest minds can be bought," Lucius cocked an eyebrow equally as amused. The elevator dinged loudly and they both glanced back at me. 'Don't mess this up or get in the way' is what their glare wordlessly ordered. I busied myself with straightening my outfit.