Chapter Twenty: The Dueling Club

❝I suppose you really do

get to know someone

once you spent hours

mucking around in the mud together.❞

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 20

The Dueling Club

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

The month of November passed in a tense state of terror. The last attack against a student, especially the innocent, tiny student Colin made the holiday spirit drown from the overwhelming dread. The first years were now exclusively seen in large pods moving through the castle flinching at every flickering, candlelit shadow, or out of place sound. It was one of their own that was attacked.

Ginny Weasley was beside herself with grief about her housemate and her brother's attempts to soothe her were only helpful in theory. Fred and George's idea of making their sister cheer up was to simply take turns giving themselves painful, oozy boils and colorful fur. Bernie seemed to be the only thing that soothed her, which I didn't mind with how busy balancing Herbology Club, Transfiguration tutoring, and brewing the secret potion was making me. There was simply no free time left in my days. I even packed up some of his favorite danish cat treats for her to keep in her bedside table, which seemed to really make her happy.

Margret Brown was in a similar state of worry. The day the news broke of Colin's attack we had been scheduled together to work on greenhouse four, and she cried so hard that Professor Sprout heard the wails from her office in an entire greenhouse over, and dismissed us early holding Margret back to be a good head of house to the distraught teenage girl. Her special ballet lessons were barely still allowed, and her nerves that another attack would end them and set her behind on her dance education came off and were eating her alive. Oftentimes she could be found in the Gryffindor common room in the comforting presence of her boyfriend, Sam Hudson. It was no surprise that Sprout had cut her club shifts back leaving Cedric and me to pick up the slack. I had to give it to the Hufflepuff seeker. It seemed like complaining about the extra work never crossed his mind.

Fred and George both tried to pester me into helping them to scare students into buying fake druid protection amulets. It was a bold attempt with how mean they were to Curry, the salamander living with Hagrid now, and how quickly my opinion of them changed, especially George. There was definitely a market for anything that claimed to prevent getting attacked. Neville bought a smelly green onion to wear around his neck. We tried to tell him that the monster didn't go for purebloods but it was a lost cause.