Chapter 33: Litha: A Midsummer's Celebration (P. II)

❝Don't you miss your old life? 

Don't you miss your old life? 

Don't you miss us?

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 33

Litha: A Midsummer's Celebration (P. II)

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

"You're dancing with me. Now."

There was a moment of silence, which seemed to please Draco. He smirked and took advantage of our surprise, starting toting me off toward the dance floor. I stumbled over the thick skirt of my ball gown. Jareth grabbed my other arm, with Liza glaring at Draco over Jareth's shoulder, and paused the movement. Liza cracked her knuckles menacingly. I stood between the two pureblood wizards, with an arm gripped by each one like a monstrous version of tug of war. People were starting to look.

"Malfoy, I swear to fucking-," Jareth snarled at Draco but I cut him off, knowing that the fire whisky he and Liza were drinking skewed his decision-making process. The last thing we needed was to make a scene.

"Jareth, it's fine. I don't want to cause a scene. It is just one dance," I whispered to him, subtly motioning to the people looking at us. He noticed and, after a heated stare-down between Draco and him, he let go.

"Yeah, no need to cause a scene, eh, Avery?" Draco taunted, wiggling his eyebrows. Jareth looked a moment away from punching Draco in the face.

Quickly, Draco steered me to the center of the dance floor. I saw Pansy dancing with Theo near the edge of the crowd on the other side of the room drop her mouth in shock. It didn't take long before she started glaring at us. Daphne was nearby and noticed too but merely rolled her eyes uninterested and bored. Pulling out of her Waltz with Theo, Pansy started whispering to her hotly but Daphne shrugged and brushed her off with a short sentence. Whatever Daphne said made Pansy storm off toward her sister, Primavera, standing near one of the bars drinking a glass of red wine. Her face was glowing red.

Draco and I instinctively fell into the motions of the classic wizarding waltz. After spending our entire lives attending dance lessons together, we were the perfect dance partners for each other as much as I hated to admit it. Being so close to him that my nose almost brushed the top of his chest from time to time made my skin prickle with nerves. I swallowed thickly waiting for him to talk knowing my voice would be weak. He didn't, and the song was starting to near the end. He was marinating my nerves with the tension between us. Draco was humming along with the music as if nothing was strange or tense. It was almost like he was enjoying himself. Almost.