Chapter Seventeen: Muddy Weekend

❝It's raining

pixies and gnomes

out there!

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 18

Outcasts Brave The Forest

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

The week had passed by quickly, and Hermione, Ron, Harry, and myself all sat around a cherry-stained wooden table near the staircase filling out another short essay questionnaire about Lockhart's book detailing his adventure's with ghouls. Hermione's quill scratched against her parchment angrily ready to burst if one of us asked her for another of her answers. As if she wasn't aware of his actions Ron had sneaked enough glances at her paper that he was nearly finished with the assignment as well. Harry, exhausted from the relentless quidditch practice and drills from Wood, was lazily writing responses pausing to let out a long yawn every now and then.

"Oh god, this can't be serious. 'How has Gilderoy Lockhart's bravery and creative resourcefulness inspired your own life as a young witch or wizard?" Ron grunted mockingly reading off the final question on the page, "Could he be more out of it?"

"Ron!" Hermione bristled pausing mid-word, "Lockhart is an extremely successful wizard who's done things you could never dream of. You're just jealous."

"Jealous? He's a moron, 'mione. I think he proved it with the pixies. Do you remember the look on his face?" Ron gagged in disgust, before leaning over to see what she wrote for the question and widened his eyes, "Merlin, all you had to put was a paragraph. Not six!"

"A minor slip up. Besides, they don't just give out the Order of Merlin to anyone, right Elle?" Hermione argued, forcing me into the debate. Sometimes I hated when Merlin came up. Everyone expected me to know everything about the medieval druid.

"Don't look at me. I know just as much about that as everyone else. He got third class. It could just be for the entertainment value. Besides, a lot of the things he says in his books about magical creatures aren't true," I reluctantly disagree, fearful to have Hermione's temper turned onto my direction. The third class is for major contributions to knowledge or entertainment.

"The other professors can't stand him," Harry added in a tired voice, "Snape looks ready to strangle him when Lockhart is around him."

"Can't say I blame him," Ron joked to Harry before puffing up his chest comically, "Oh, Harry, one day you might reach a point like I have that you need to keep a stack of signed headshots handy but right now you look a tag bigheaded."