Chapter 43: The Veil is Thin (Samhain 1/3)

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ‿୨ ♡ ୧‿ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 43

The Veil is Thin

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

❝This magic

is woven into

the fabric

of your being.❞

The passage of time slows for no mortal being, and that being so, the morning of October 31st was no different. Samhain had arrived. She came autumn birthed, red and with a gust of bitter wind. No matter how much I dreaded this holiday, there would be no stopping it. What could a teenage girl do against the power of holiday that's occurred for thousands of years? I'd welcome even the dimmest ideas from anyone at this point.

While it may be just a day, it didn't change the simple fact I was terrified. It was like standing before a tsunami and bracing yourself for the wave above to rush over you. An inescapable tension of dread and doom overwhelming any idea of the future.

So, naturally, sleep felt impossible the night before. It was a night filled with tossing and turning. Even once, I had risen from bed to greet the coldness of the stone dormitory floor and gaze out from the window at the rolling fog– almost like an omen of the spectral ghost to come. Bernard eventually went to sleep with Ginny Weasley, as he regularly did. He adored the red-haired witch.

I was the first person awake on the morning of Halloween. I had been scheduled to have a meeting with McGonagall that morning, which would have prevented me from sleeping in, regardless. Dressing for the day had happened in a flurry once I slipped into the bathroom.

Glancing in the mirror, I realized I'd relied on an old Greengrass rule of thumb. Dressing impressively in fine and expensive garments was a protective layer during a crisis. So, if I ended up causing mayhem, there would always be an air of presentable distinction around me.

I wore a black velvet dress with a cream silk bib with mother-of-pearl buttons in a sweet 60's style. It was long-sleeved and lined with a layer of wool and silk. There was a thin black ribbon tied loosely around the neck, mirroring the bow in my hair. Next, I wore two layers of dark grey wool tights and thick black socks.

On my feet, I wore simple ankle, slender boots with handmade leather in black. The shoestrings were silk bows of ribbon. Finally, I wore a french short, modern style in a plaid print for my robes. It was red, grey, and cream with a trench coat camel color as the background. There was even a hood in the case of rain. I even applied light makeup like the artists at the summer solstice had shown me how.