Chapter 32: Litha: A Midsummer's Celebration (P. I)

❝Can't look at your own handy work? 

Father was right 

about you being weak

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 32

Litha: A Midsummer's Celebration (P. I)

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Saturday, June 25th, 1993:

The first morning back to Greengrass Estate, an excited Astoria shook from my bed, who was taking full advantage of her fresh energy. She would need to return to America at the end of July for some tests and a few blood transfusions to last her until Christmas break. I think the Malfoys will watch me for two or three weekends but perhaps I could talk Gaius into watching me instead. Astoria fluttered around my room like a white hummingbird in her cute white frock, overjoyed that this summer the pureblood society events would return full swing. Last year, the raids from the ministry on pureblood homes smothered the season to suffocation, and only a few casual garden tea parties occurred.

But the raids were over, and it was the biggest date of the season. It was Midsummer or Litha. I'd totally forgotten because of all the craziness happening in my life and the break last summer. The sun was still deeply slumbering behind the hilly horizon when Astoria rouse me from my bed. The first event was a sunrise breakfast to soak up the first rays of the brightest day of the year. For the rest of the day, we would roam around someone's luxurious gardens and tea rooms, enjoying the festivities. There was always a grand array of entertainment from around the magical world; Snake charmers, unicorns, ballet performances, wizards chess tournaments, and famous singers to name just a few. Most years they put on a play, or ballet, after breakfast and continued throughout the day. After the last performance concluded, people would slowly trickle back to their homes to change into grand costumes for the sunset ball. People began preparing their outfits for the next year the moment the ball ended. Sometimes even before. Daphne was in charge of our gowns, and in true Greengrass nature, she never failed to make our family stand out.

Sunrise would be at 4:44 am this year, and Astoria plucked me from my nightmares of the chamber and into my bathtub no later than two am, as my body was slick with a cold sweat. I could tell she was concerned by the way I frantically looked around the room when my body hit the floor. I had been ejected from the damp bedding because she was jumping on the bed.

"It's Litha already?" I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and allowed Astoria, who still had wet hair from her own bath, to dump an entire bottle of orange blossom and honey-scented bubble bath into the water. The bubbles quickly overtook the bath, and I wondered how much the fancy liquid cost. A wave of guilt overcame me.