Chapter 36: Castle Vaile

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ‿୨ ♡ ୧‿ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

❝The secrets in this castle 

belong to only me now. 

I'm the only one left

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 36

Castle Vaile

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

Thursday, July 8th:

"Are you ready? I wouldn't be upset if you changed your mind," Gaius said softly to me, after walking away from a sour-faced Wilks.

It was early morning in the living room of the beach cottage. I glanced behind him at Wilks, who was dressed in a casual set of wizard robes rather than one of his standard suits. He was tapping his foot.

"Wilks would be," I winced. 

He was clearly pleased to have something tangible to report back to his boss about our progress on druid magic. Even if the idea of stomping around a derelict castle seemed to repulse him.

"Who cares?" Gaius sneered at me in a whisper and made a face at Wilks over his shoulder. 

A small part of me wanted to call it off but George Weasley was right. I wouldn't ever stop thinking about it if I didn't go. The whole week of training and trying to ignore Wilks and Gaius arguing had made me realize how much that was true.

"No, I want to go," I confirmed softly.

Gaius held out his elbow for me to grab onto, and whistled at Wilks obnoxiously. They had been at each other's throats since their argument. Wilks made a slight irked sneer in response but with a loud pop, the world started to swirl around me, and my stomach lurched. Gaius' home faded away and with a quick second was replaced with an abundance of green and gray.

The front of my ancestral home lay in ruins before me. Without realizing it, I took a few steps closer to the gray stone stairs leading up to the entrance. A tingly warmth spread upwards from the mossy ground into my legs. My magic almost purred at the sight of the stone giant in front of me.

It was massive. I didn't know where to look first, and my vision started to blur with wet emotion. This was supposed to be my home, but a series of tragedies left me a stranger to the overgrown ruin. Subconsciously, I brought a hand to rest against my heart.

Even with the destruction crumbling the Goliath of a pureblood home, the ancient beauty of it remained intact among the crumbling walls, and overgrowth of nature. It was bigger than any pureblood home I've ever been to. It was a petite Hogwarts. For the first time in my life, I actually understood the weight of my family legacy that had followed me since infancy. It was hard to truly understand in the shadow of our greatness but looking up at my home made me understand what once was. Pride and sorrow filled me. Pride for what I came from, and sorrow from a more tender part of me.