Chapter 42: The Arrival of Autumn

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ‿୨ ♡ ୧‿ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 42

The Arrival of Autumn

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

❝As a  family. 

No matter

what❞

A ripe autumn season had fallen across the grounds of Hogwarts like a plump, scarlet apple. The leaves quickly turned golden brown and twirled to the earth creating big piles of leaves sprinkled across the grounds. Jareth and Beck had taken the time to dump me ungracefully butt-first into multiple piles of leaves.

It had quickly become a game for them- seeing how often they could sneak up on me and plop me into the crunchy leaves. For the rest of the day, I could smell the dry, autumn scent of the leaves as little flakes of crunchy leaves stuck to me, from my hair to the uniform socks. Regularly I had gone to run my hands through my hair, only to touch the crispness of a fallen leaf. For the first part of the term, a crown of autumn leaves crown my head like a fae of the autumn court.

I remembered the tales I'd heard about autumn at Hogwarts long before I stepped onto campus. The stories, however enchanting and stunning as they may be, painted a pale picture compared to the masterpiece it was in reality. As September faded to October, I had to refrain from skipping classes to sit and take in the season of change.

Every moment was crisp with the ripening of golden shades until they all grew cold and dark for winter. Lupin even allowed us to have a class outside. He said weather like this couldn't be taken for granted, and I couldn't help but agree.

Autumn overwhelmed Hogwarts- every thought, every sight, every student and faculty. Autumn's power rendered us all helpless to her enchantments. We were all consumed by her golden spell.

All you wish to do is stand where a strong gust of wind can blow against your face and allow the smell of the seasons to wisp you away with the breeze– butterscotch, pumpkin juice, ripe apples, dry leaves, and the smokey smell of the fireplace. It felt criminal to do anything but lay under a tree on a thick quilt listening to romantic jazz songs from when our grandparents were students. The only part of autumn that wasn't perfect was watching it pass.

By mid-October, everyone had fallen into the rhythm of education. Countless assignments have come and passed. Just as myriad bits of gossip has come and given in exchange for the newest information. Oliver Wood had the Gryffindor team practicing every chance he had to book the pitch. This year I heard from Harry and the Weasley twins how excessively he was training them. The twins even begged me to come to watch practice.