Chapter 40: Waking Nightmare

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ‿୨ ♡ ୧‿ ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

Chapter 40

A

Waking Nightmare

╚═══*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

❝And Estelle Vaile?

You're like a feast

to the famished.❞

The first full week back at Hogwarts was always eventful. It was almost like an unspoken agreement that students would return to the ancient castle with a chaotic bang. For an entire summer, the halls waited hollowly for life to chase away the dust and cobwebs. The students of Hogwarts would return like a stampede or not at all; it would seem.

So, as promised, we returned with a thunderous stampede of activity. Magic, laughter, and joy erupted out of every window, door, and arch and stretched until the dementors on the horizon corrupted it into a barrier of dread. A light doomed to fizz out.

Even then, it was easy to settle back into the rhythm of school once more. Monday had been a busy day for me, as it was my first shift for Hogwarts's Herbology Club with Cedric and Margret during lunch. As if Margret was paying the castle's toll of excitement, she had arrived with puffy eyes and fat tears streaming down her face.

She and her boyfriend, Sam Hudson, fought because he blew off their plans the day before and thought she was being too clingy. I could tell Cedric was growing to dislike the older student as quickly as I did. After the night of Magret's ballet performance this summer, Cedric and I stayed up all night in his living room eating the sweets his mother made and discussing the tension between Andrew Nickles and Sam Hudson. Magret was oblivious that her best friend was in love with her. But I knew Cedric was itching to tell off Sam Hudson for mistreating Magret.

Cedric's mother warned him it might only cause more drama and to handle the issue carefully. Moreover, it may encourage Magret's boyfriend to cut her off from her friends. So, we both silently supported her as best as we could, even as she made a wet ring of running mascara around her eyes like a raccoon.

Cedric and I took turns comforting Magret and working on the tasks we had to complete during lunch. Just when you thought she was calming down, she would burst into another wave of tears. You'd assume someone as beautiful as her would be a pretty crier. She wasn't.

Sprout had arrived at the end of the hour. She took one look at the hysterical teenager and gathered her into a warm hug. Then, as another wave of tears shook our friend, Sprout shooed us out with her hands. Sprout had no issue writing a pass for Margret's absence during class that period. HHC was her known soft spot among the student body. Just like Snape favored Slytherin and Flitwick favored his choir.