Chapter One: "Full Moon"

Deep in the snowy mountains. In the heart of the dense dark forest, is the little village of Lupine. Crudely named because the village was known for two things. Its lush pine trees and wolves. No one knows who settled in the area of Lupine first. The humans, or the wolves. The only thing known is that since the start of Lupine Village, there has always been attacks from the wolves. Every full moon, they came. They killed dozens of villagers. Dragged off kids in the night and then they would retreat into the forest. Despite the hardship, Lupine endured. Those that survived built a wall around the small village. The woodcutters worked tirelessly to get it up before the next full moon. However, not everyone was happy about the construction of the wall. In one of the cabin homes that had managed to survive, lived a small family that had settled here in the hopes of avoiding the narrow-minded people in the big cities. Jack sat on the second floor, his legs hanging off the edge as he leaned on the wooden rail. He was watching his grandmother and father argue in the living room below. His mother was busy washing dishes in the sink, trying to avoid the family drama going on behind her.

His Grandma paced before the crackling fireplace that both warmed and lit up the room, shouting at her son angrily. "The wall will keep them out sure, but it will cage us in here! Don't you see that? There are better ways to handle this!" His father paced behind the rocking chairs set before the fireplace, snapping back. "Ma, there is no talking to them! Maybe in your day they did... but they don't want to talk now." His Grandma huffed out bitterly. "In my day, we LISTENED. Think of your family! You can't mess this up. There is nowhere for us to go!" His dad waved a hand at her, heatedly stating out. "The wall will be finished soon. You'll just have to live with that. Think of your grandson! This will keep him safe!" His Grandma tossed up her hands, blurting out louder. "Oh, sure! Safe from one monster to fall victim to hundreds more INSIDE! People are cruel! You cage them and they get worse!" Jack swallowed; he'd never seen them fight like this. His family rarely fought, until his Grandmother had started living with them. Over the years, the fights had been minor... until now. From the kitchen, his mom threw down a dishrag and whirled around to snap out. "Rowan! Stop! If you don't like it here, then LEAVE!" Jack's heart fell to the pit of his stomach.

He was really close to his grandmother. His parents were always working. They barely talked to him, but his Granny had always been there. His Granny lifted her chin proudly, replying in a cool and stern tone of voice. "Maybe I should. I'm not afraid of the woods. I was born in them. I'll be safer there than with you." His mother stormed toward her, but his father stepped in to stop her, cutting in firmly. "Stop this! No one is going anywhere! We are all safe here! This wall will keep the wolves out! No one is going to hurt anyone again!" Jack's mother pointed a stern finger at his Granny, blurting out. "You ruin everything! We left the city because of you! You love the woods so much? GO DIE IN THEM!" His dad pushed Jack's mother back carefully, shouting at her. "Don't say that about my mother!" His mother started to cry, shouting at her husband. "Don't you see?! We had a good life, until SHE moved in with us! We were chased from the city because of HER! And now she wants us to side with the wolves?! She's insane!" Jack looked at his Granny, who looked up at him with gentle green eyes. His Granny had long straight white hair that was braided down one shoulder and she wore a red hooded cloak over her shoulders that she'd made.

His Granny had been an odd old woman. She had always spent more time in her garden or talking to plants over people. He'd never seen her afraid of anything except people. She said it was because she didn't trust them. His father moved to stand between them, trying to get a handle on the situation as he said to everyone. "Let's just give this plan a chance. It can work. We can be safe." Granny shook her head, telling her son without emotion. "No. I won't live in a fence. Stay here if you want... but I won't cut myself off from the woods." His mother shrugged out to her. "Those wolves will kill you in those woods! And for what? Because you can't admit when you are wrong. Because you think they won't come for you!" Granny pulled her cloak around her better, retorting seriously. "It's not about being right or wrong. It's where I feel safe. The wolves may come for me. But I'd rather it be THEM, than the selfish people you call 'friends.' What's the point of living if you are stuck in a cage for the rest of your life?" Granny turned toward the door and Jack bolted up to his feet. His dad called out to his mother, but his mom grabbed him to say bitterly. "Let her go. It's what she wants!"