Chapter Twenty-Five: "Counting Sheep"

Jack staggered up to his feet, walking over to Dwight as he began to ask. "Can I help?" Dwight placed his hands down on the bullet wound on Zen's chest. He looked too distracted to answer. Jack took a single step to get within range to help, when a werewolf lunged at him with a deep aggressive snarl. Jumping back, Jack raised his hands in surrender. Only to watch the werewolf's ears fall back and whimper as its eyes looked up over Jack's head. The other werewolves growled a little but kept their distance from him. Swallowing, Jack looked over his shoulder to see Mark towering over him on his hind legs, his teeth bared and his eyes sizing up the other wolves in a silent challenge. Dwight was the only one that didn't notice as he said aloud. "My gift isn't working on him... That's not good. Ok... I'll just have to take the bullet out as is. You'll feel it but you'll just have to bear with me Zen." Mark's arm draped over Jack's shoulder, his palm pressing against his chest to pull him back into his safe embrace. Mark backed up slowly with him, then sat down to rest his head on Jack's shoulder with his arm still draped over him protectively.

Taking the hint that the other werewolves didn't want him near their wounded Alpha, he just stayed where Mark wanted him. He felt like of like a dog toy among feisty dogs that needed something to chew on. The werewolf that had snarled at him, looked to the others and let out a series of whines and barks. The werewolf looked worried and angry. Then its eyes fell on Jack, prompting Mark to let out a deep growl that sent vibrations down Jack's back. The werewolf growled at Mark before snorting and turning away, flicking its tail in a way that he interpreted to flicking Mark off. Dwight finished patching a distressed Zen up, before telling Jack softly. "He's stable... but this is bad. I tried to warn him about your blood on Mark's fur... he didn't listen." Jack couldn't stop himself from reaching up to pet Mark's head as it rested on his shoulder, upon asking Dwight. "What's wrong? He's just cured..." Dwight nervously looked back to the werewolf that had given a speech to the others. Keeping his voice low, he said cautiously. "See that large grey wolf. That's Zen's Beta, Darcy. If Zen is cured... Darcy becomes the new Alpha. And you don't want that. He's not a fan of Moonchildren or Hunters."

Jack looked to Darcy, who took a seat in a circular indent in the floor where pillows and blankets made from animal furs were. A few other werewolves joined him, and they seemed to whisper to each other as they eyed Mark with narrowed eyes. Jack licked his dry lips, uneasily asking him. "So... We should think about leaving?" Dwight's eyes darted to Darcy. Jack could feel the tension rising in the cave. A power struggle seemed to be forming. Dwight finally looked back to him, mumbling out so softly. "If only the white werewolf was here... Then maybe I'd know what to do." Jack stiffened, asking curiously. "White werewolf?" Dwight nodded, telling him uneasily. "It's why I came here. When a Moonchild reaches my level of skill, they are told to seek out a white werewolf. I heard rumors that one was here in Lupine. But I got captured by Zen and his Pack before I could find it. The white werewolf is rare and said to help Moonchildren find their purpose. However, I haven't seen one here. So, I feel like I made a mistake coming here." Jack thought about it a long moment before telling him coolly. "I wouldn't give up. I... I saw a white werewolf once. When I was little. It broke into our house and... approached me."

Dwight perked up, excitedly telling him. "Then you are lucky. What was it trying to tell you?" Jack shrugged, honestly answering. "I don't know. It didn't speak. I was afraid of it... my dad chased it off. Haven't seen it since." Dwight pulled a blanket over Zen, about to say something, until Darcy let out a low growl. By the entrance, a few werewolves moved to sit in the opening. Their eyes staring down Jack and Dwight. Exhaling slowly, Jack mumbled out to Mark. "Something tells me that they aren't going to let us leave without a fight." Dwight nodded solemnly, retorting lightly. "At least until the new Alpha is officially crowned." Jack looked to Darcy with worry, questioning aloud. "And how does that happen?" Dwight inhaled before reluctantly answering. "Well... Usually it comes down to proving one is a leader by issuing a challenge to the strongest wolves in the room." Jack looked to Mark, who tensed as Darcy slowly got up from his spot. The werewolves he'd been gossiping with, scattering to the sides to watch. Darcy snorted, his lips curling into a snarl as he locked eyes with Mark like he was expecting him to accept the challenge.