Chapter Twenty-Four: "The Company Of Wolves"

Jack held onto Mark's fur desperately with one hand, but his grip was becoming harder to maintain. Resting his head down on Mark's back, he tried to keep himself awake. Watching the werewolves running alongside Mark, that glanced at him with uneasy expressions. In his weary state, he noticed Mark slowing and heard him whine restlessly. Lifting his head, he saw the Pack of wolves lingering around a little meadow clearing that had untouched snow that was sparkling in the light of the bright full moon. Sitting in the center of the green meadow was a figure dressed in a grey wool robe. The light brown werewolf cautiously approached the man and growled softly, drawing the person's calm attention. The light brown wolf turned its head to look at Mark, prompting the person to follow the wolf's eyes before casually getting up. Jack gasped softly at the glowing bright blue hair that was braided down the person's shoulder. The person slowly approached, causing Mark to pace and growl. Other wolves growled at him in warning, calming him enough that the person drew near. Extending a dark colored hand out to Mark's wolf nose, the person hummed something that calmed Mark down.

Running their hand up over Mark's furry head to pat his neck, the person moved closer to Jack and peered at him with bright glowing blue eyes from under the hood. The person's voice was deep and soothing when he told him rather comfortingly. "Don't be afraid." The man touched his fingers to Jack's forehead, filling Jack with a sudden deep relaxation feeling. His body slowly went limp as he drifted to sleep. Catching only the man touching a hand to his wound before his eyes closed. Yet, he felt no pain. He just felt overwhelmingly safe. He had a dream of walking with Mark through the woods. Their fingers intertwined and smiles on their face. It was so peaceful. Just as they stopped to kiss him, a full moon rose, and he opened his eyes. Wincing to the warm light, Jack took in where he was and tensed a bit. All around him werewolves were laying on rock ledges of the cave they were in. Some were even laying on the floor at a distance from them. Next to him was a crackling campfire and kneeling beside him was the hooded man. The man finished putting something on his wound, before pressing his hand to it and informing him casually. "How do you feel?"

Jack looked at the man's hand on his wound, mumbling out timidly. "I don't know... Who are you? Where is Mark?" The man pointed with his free hand, answering curtly. "Your wolf is over there. I put him to sleep like I did for you. Poor guy wouldn't stop pacing and growling at me while I worked." Jack sat back on his elbows, getting a look at Mark's sleeping form. His padded hands and feet twitching in his sleep like he was running after something on all fours. When his eyes met with the man, the man continued with a warm smile beneath his hood. "My name is Dwight. Although, around this Pack... they call me 'Moonchild.' What's your name?" Jack's heart sped up as he excitedly asked him. "You're a Moonchild too? But you look so... different. And... sorry. I'm Jack." Dwight pushed his hood back to reveal his soft features and blazing blue eyes when he chuckled out. "We are all different in our own way. Nice to meet you." Jack blushed a little, mumbling out embarrassed. "I just mean that my hair doesn't... look like that." Dwight touched his braided hair, nodding as he told him honestly. "Yes. It didn't always look like this. However, as I grew more into my power... it just seems to show more."

Jack thought about it, then asked softly. "You can make people fall asleep?" Dwight chuckled, replying nicely. "Yes. And I can do this." Dwight carefully removed his hand and then the cloth to reveal Jack's healed side. Not even a scar was left behind. Sliding his fingers over the healed skin, Jack gasped out. "Holy shit... How did you do that?" Dwight turned his hand over, replying simply. "It's something I can just do. I used to only be able to do it on full moons. Now I can do it once or twice without a full moon. To be honest though. I didn't know if it would work on you. I've only tested it on werewolves so far." Sitting up, Jack rubbed his sliced hand and tried to see if he could do that. Noticing what he was trying to do, Dwight put a hand on his, telling him formally. "Don't think on it too hard. Just let your emotion spark it." Jack tried but still couldn't make it happen. Dwight touched his palm, causing the cut to glow and heal over, before telling him with a smile. "It's hard to do it on yourself. Easier to do it for others. Trust me." Dwight moved the robe away from his neck to show the light scars along his dark skin. Recognizing the scars as a wolf bite, Jack timidly asked him. "Where did you get that? Why are you here? I thought they wanted to... kill Moonchildren?"