Chapter Eleven: "Snowed In"

Jack hummed softly to himself as he walked through the woods. It all felt so new and alluring. He couldn't recall a time that he was wasn't trapped behind those walls. He felt so free. The snow that covered the pine trees was beautiful and despite it getting really dark, the stars shined brightly enough that the snow seemed to glow with moonlight. The snow fell in heavier flurries and a chilling breeze swayed the branches, but Jack admired it all from the safety of the road. Upon glancing over his shoulder, Jack noticed that Mark walked at a distance among the trees. Not once had he step foot on the road. Grimacing a bit, Jack told him nicely. "You know... You are making me uncomfortable. I feel like you're stalking me. Can't you just walk with me?" Mark's voice came out low and guarded, when he replied. "I am." Jack stopped and beckoned him over. Mark stopped to lean on a tree but didn't approach him. Sighing, Jack gestured around, telling him. "Mark... There is no one around. We are fine." Mark folded his arms over his chest, informing him in a cool smug tone. "Jack, you're never alone in the woods. There is always someone or something watching. Or listening."

Looking around, Jack saw nothing. There was just trees and more trees. Raising an eyebrow, he looked back at Mark a bit unconvinced. Mark beckoned him over with a finger, his lips trying hard not to curl into a smile. Fearlessly, Jack strolled up to him, holding his chin high in playful defiance. Mark took his shoulders, slowly turning him around. Pulling him back against his chest, he slowly raised his hands to cover Jack's eyes. Leaning close to his ear, he whispered to him. "Just stop and listen." Mark's warm breath moved away from his ear, but his hands stayed over his eyes. Taking a deep breath, Jack listened like he wanted. He couldn't imagine anything was out this late at night. It seemed silly. Was Mark teasing him? Was he trying to scare him? For a minute or two, he heard nothing. He was getting a little bored, until he heard the soft hooting from something in the trees and the soft crunching of snow in the distance. Grabbing Mark's wrist, he pulled one of his wrists down, causing Mark to move his hands off him. He looked around to see them but saw nothing. He didn't understand it. Turning wide eyes on Mark, Mark chuckled out softly. "See? The woods never sleep. They just go silent around predators. They listen to each other. You only see them when they want you too."

Jack bite his lip, watching Mark walk slow and with every other step he stopped to listen to things around him. Walking up along side him on the road where the snow was less deep, Jack asked him curiously. "How do you know that? Is it a wolf thing?" Mark snorted to himself, before answering softly. "No. It's instinct. You have it too. Humans just don't use it like they should. Which is why you die in these woods. You have no idea how life works out here." Mark gestured to the road, sourly growling out. "You think just because someone put a road through it that you're safe? That the animals who live here will just stay out of your way?" Jack shrugged, telling him under his breath. "You grew up in the village though. How do you know about how life works out here?" Mark stopped short and Jack skidded to a stop like he'd hit a nerve. Looking over his shoulder, Mark told him firmly. "I live in the village because... I can't live in the woods." Jack inched closer to him, asking softly. "Why not?" Mark didn't answer. He just picked up his pace and avoided his eyes. Jack hung back from him a bit, wincing with regret for asking. For a bit they walked in awkward silence, before Jack tried to change the subject a little by asking gently. "Did you ever try asking my Granny if you could live with her? I mean... if she likes you, then I don't see her having a problem with it."

Mark didn't look back at him, when he stated flatly. "No. I'd just put her in danger." Jack narrowed his eyes on Mark, asking curiously. "Why?" Mark stopped, exhaling loudly as he dropped his face into his hand. Moving around him, Jack shrugged out innocently. "Talk to me. You know all about me. It's your turn." Mark shook his head, telling him seriously. "You already know too much. More than enough for them to burn you at the stake... or worse." Mark started to move, until Jack slammed a hand on a tree to block Mark from walking off. Staring him down, Jack flashed him a small smile when he told him casually. "Well, if I'm already condemned to go to hell. Then what's the problem?" Mark straightened up to his full height, his jaw clenching with irritation. Stepping off the road to stand in front of him, Jack rested his shoulder on the tree and asked in a sweeter voice. "Mark? I won't tell anyone. I have no one to tell. But I wanna understand..." Mark rolled his eyes, but bowing his head, he exhaled out reluctantly. "The Pack that lives here. They... They think of me like a tamed house pet. A spy for the humans. So... They chase me away. Which is why I make my trips to the woods brief and can't stay. I'm not welcome here and my life in the village is fragile... I'm a person with each of my feet in a different world. And neither of them wants me because of what I am."