Chapter Sixteen: "Moonchild"

Mark nibbled on the dried jerky. Enjoying the rich smoky taste combined with the smooth raspberry taste of the moonshine. He found that he didn't have to drink too much to feel calm. So, he kept his drinking light and filled himself with more jerky. While beside him, Jack ate a whole jar of sweet pickles and drank the pickle juice. The silence only made Mark dwell on how much he'd messed up. Yet, he didn't know how to fix it. Was there even a way to fix it? He kicked himself for lying but beating a dead horse was getting him nowhere. Bowing his head, he thought about trying to apologize again. Only to have Jack scoot closer to rest his head on his shoulder. Glancing at him, he asked a bit startled. "Jack...?" Jack exhaled loudly, then mumbled out. "Why did you have to ruin everything...?" Mark straightened up a little, answering honestly. "I wasn't trying to. I didn't want to tell you... I... It was easy when I didn't get to know you. Knowing you just... It just made me feel stupid for not trying to get to know you sooner. I just thought you were like the rest of them..." Jack set the empty jar down, asking him with a sad tone to his voice. "If Geralf hadn't shown up... Would you have turned me in? Be honest."

Mark looked away to hide his face, then answered truthfully. "I don't know. I probably would have asked why she wanted you... Then I would have made up my mind." Jack hiccupped, then asked him in a slightly jealous tone. "Who was the man that... That touched you outside my bakery?" Mark smirked just a little from how ruffled Jack was by that. Tilting his head back on the cask, Mark openly answered. "His name is Taran. He is Arlynn's rival. He's here to take the territory from Arlynn. Him and his Pack are the ones I sent to your house that night..." Hefting a disappointed sigh, Mark mumbled out. "I'm glad I told him the wrong place... after what he did to me. All that I did for him." Mark winced as he recalled Jack saying those same words to him. Jack lifted his head, asking him very softly. "You knew I was in the bakery that night?" Mark smirked to himself, admitting with a blush. "Not at first. I knew you had a fight with your parents. I figured you stormed off. Then... I caught you watching. I thought about turning you over to him... but I'd already made the deal with Arlynn. So, I wanted you for myself."

Mark sniffed the air, his mind becoming distracted by the weird scent. Picking up the empty jar that Jack had sat next to him, he sniffed it with caution. Snorting, he told Jack bluntly. "Jack... You drank this whole thing?" Jack nodded, his eyes unfocused. Setting the jar down, Mark informed him gently. "I think you should lay down. Those were fermented in moonshine." Jack giggled a little, scooting closer to ask in a whisper. "Why didn't you warn me?" Mark leaned back from him a bit, answering honestly. "To be fair... I'm a little tipsy. But... I get the feeling that you don't drink... ever." Jack shifted onto all fours, leaning closer to him when he told him in a slow groggy voice. "Not that... Why didn't you warn me... about what you were going to do?" Mark tried hard not to smile, when he told him nicely. "Because that would have defied the purpose of keeping it a secret. I didn't... I didn't want you to know. I didn't want to hurt you... but I knew it would..." Jack's eyes teared up a bit, when he told him in a broken-hearted voice. "I don't know what to do... I can't trust you. But I can't go home..." Mark reached a hand out to touch his cheek, telling him in a deep heartfelt voice. "I can't express how sorry I am, Jack... I wanna make it up to you. I just don't know how..."

Jack reached out to take the jar of moonshine from him, Mark was going to stop him if he went to drink it. Instead, he just set it aside. For a second Mark relaxed, until Jack leaned in to kiss him. Mark placed his hands on Jack's shoulders to try and lightly fend him off. He didn't want to hurt Jack, but knew he wasn't really himself either. Jack's kiss was slow and rather pleasant. It held so many emotions from lust, to love, and a deep longing. Mark kissed him back, savoring the kiss for what it was. As Jack pulled back to breathe, Mark kept his hands out as a way to either catch him or fend him off again. Jack blushed behind his long bangs, giggling out in a pained voice. "I know how you can make it up to me." Mark showed peaked interest by raising an eyebrow, but the rest of him was braced with caution for what might happen next. Sitting up, Jack brushed his bangs off his flushed face and grabbed his tunic to pull it off. Mark immediately tensed up, stammering out. "Whoa. Jack. Jack! Stop." Tossing his shirt down, Jack moved up to grab Mark's shoulders. Mark tried to pry his hands off, only to have Jack swing a leg over his lap.