Chapter Twelve: "Man Or Beast"

Mark laid over Jack as much as he could to keep him warm as the fire died. Even as the cave grew darker, Mark could see with his wolf eyes. Allowing him to keep watch on the entrance, while his keen hearing listened to the sounds hidden among the whistling wind. The storm showed no sign of slowing down and wore on into the night. Which only added to Mark's anxiousness. He'd never stayed out this late and it worried him. People were bound to notice their absence by dawn. Not only that, but he knew that the Pack usually hunted in the early hours of the morning. Preying upon the hunger that woke animals from their slumber and made them too groggy to think clearly. The storm slowly died down, just before the sun had broken over the horizon. Mark placed a hand on Jack's arm, about to wake him, until he heard a distant howl. Lifting his hand off Jack, he carefully moved away from him. Creeping toward the entrance, Mark heard another distant howl and the sounds of something sniffing above the cave. Reaching down, he removed a dagger from his boot and waited. Snow fluttered off the top of the cave entrance, then everything went eerily quiet.

No birds were chippering. No squirrels were rustling in the trees. A large predator was near and by the smell in the morning air, he knew who it was. Peeking out of the cave a bit, he quickly scanned for her, but couldn't see her. From close by though, she told him in a blunt tone. "Come on out, Mark. I can smell you. And so can they." Exhaling heavily, Mark curled his fingers to hide his dagger up his sleeve and stepped out of the cave. He knew they'd just come in and get him if he didn't. Crouched by a tree, she moved into his line of sight and asked sternly. "Are you lost, Mutt? You never travel this far into the woods..." Mark lifted his chin, not bothering to lie when he told her. "I'm not. I was hoping to reach the old lady's cottage. Got stuck in the storm." The woman rose to her feet, asking him darkly. "And why would that old goat want to see you?" Mark shrugged, answering coolly. "I just needed to see her." The woman sauntered closer, her purple eyes looking him over under her long autumn red hair. Letting out a low growl, she asked him in a mistrusting tone. "And if I say no?" Mark lowered his eyes to keep from challenging her as he said calmly. "She's not a threat to you and she was nice to me."

The woman snorted, lifelessly smirking out. "I don't care. I told you the terms. You wanna join MY Pack. You were told to bring me her grandchild. Well? Where is he?" Mark lowered his eyes to the ground, a little surprised that she hadn't smelled him. Although, he doubted that she knew what he smelled like. She moved closer and his eyes shot up to meet hers. She growled close to his face; her teeth stained in fresh blood. Standing his ground, he told her firmly. "I don't have him. I need to speak to her to find him, Arlynn." She leaned closer to sniff him, then snorted out bitterly. "I don't believe you. What are you hiding?" She sniffed the air, then tried to move into the cave, but he stepped into her way. Arlynn growled louder, but Mark avoided her eyes and didn't growl back. He just clenched his jaw and braced himself for a fight. She brought her teeth closer to his throat, asking him with distaste. "Are you bringing your human rebound into my woods now? Perhaps that Hunter has chased you out and you brought a snack?" Mark turned neutral eyes on her, keeping his voice soft and respectful when he answered coolly. "I saved him from the storm. Nothing more."

Arlynn narrowed her eyes on him, saying bitterly. "That's your problem, Mutt. You care about them too much. You should have let him die." Mark kept his voice calm and docile but stated out seriously. "She wouldn't have. The Hunters are only here because of you." She grabbed him by the throat and shoved him up against the cave entrance, snarling out angrily. "Watch your tongue, Mutt. Or I'll eat it! We are taking back the land that is rightfully OURS! If a few humans have to die. So be it. The Pack is stronger under MY reign!" Releasing Mark, she looked him over with her eyes, her expression softening a bit when she told him. "Even for a Mutt, you'd have value replenishing our ranks. You are strong in body... but you lack the spine of a wolf. Move. I'll kill it for you and show you how it's done." Mark moved into her path again and for the first time, he let out a low growl in front of her. Taking a step back, Arlynn chuckled out humorlessly. "You dare growl at me, Mutt? Your better!" Looking at her only out of the corner of his eye, he told her firmly. "He's not worth your time. I'll take him home." Arlynn bared his teeth close to his neck, snarling out. "He entered MY woods. That makes him prey! All humans will die here! Move!"