Chapter Nine: "Tease Me"

Jack stared down at the way Mark's hand was touching his timidly. He barely felt his warmth, but it was enough to make him stop breathing. Mark's soft-spoken words gave him goosebumps and rekindled everything he liked about him. Swallowing, Jack released his breath in order to reply calmly. "Are you willing to take me because he wants to... or because you genuinely didn't think about it?" Mark moved his hand off his, answering openly. "A bit of both." Turning to face him, Jack asked a little cautiously. "I want to trust you... but you are not making it easy. The wolves in those woods want me... and you are one. How do I know you aren't trying to lead me astray?" Mark stared into his eyes, smirking a little when he told him openly. "You'll just have to trust me." Jack shifted on his feet, his voice dropping to a whisper, when he mumbled out while looking away. "I have a lot of trouble with that part..." Mark leaned a bit closer to his ear to whisper into it a little playfully. "Me too." Rolling his eyes, Jack stepped back from him, saying anxiously in return. "Mark... You understand my concern, don't you?"

Mark drummed his fingers on the counter slowly, replying seriously. "Yes. But there is nothing I can do that will convince you otherwise. I'm not a stranger, Jack. You know me." Jack inched around a cooling rack to retrieve a jar of red jelly from another counter. Upon looking back, he saw Mark leaning on one of the empty cooling trays, staring at him with big eyes over his crossed burly arms. Biting his lip a little, Jack hugged the jar to his chest, saying innocently. "I'm not that stupid, Mark. Knowing who you are, isn't the same as knowing what kind of person you are." Mark smirked a little, asking curiously. "But you'd trust a man like Geralf over me?" Sighing heavily, Jack moved back to his counter to set the jar down. Picking up the dough again, he rerolled it, mumbling out truthfully. "To be honest... you both are giving me mixed signals." Mark chuckled behind him. Jack split the dough into smaller pieces, then froze when he felt the sudden heat close to his back. Mark's hands touched the counter on either side of him, his voice asking over his shoulder a bit playfully. "Ok... but which one would you rather get stuck in a snow storm with?"

Jack bowed his head, blushing a bright red. The question had caught him off guard. Pressing his hips up against the counter to keep his body from touching Mark, he stammered out. "What...? What does...? What does that have to do with anything?" Mark inched closer, his hands sliding over the counter more, before he told him in a low whisper. "It could be important. A life or death decision to snuggle up to fight off the cold. Could you see yourself snuggling with that brute? Or a wolf?" Licking his dry lips, Jack cleared his throat and turned sideways to keep from feeling so cornered. Mark stepped back with a worried look, when Jack asked him curiously. "Do you enjoy making me uncomfortable?" Mark bowed his head, lifting his hand to hold his fingers up to show him that he did just a little. Raising an eyebrow, Jack asked him nicely. "Why? For someone so scared of... people. You sure do like to tease me..." Mark lifted his head to look him in the eyes, his voice dipping to a deep buttery tone when he almost growled out. "I like to tease you... because you're letting me. You want me to stop?" Jack was speechless. He could see the honesty in Mark's soft brown eyes, even his growling voice was a tease. Part of him wanted to tell him to stop, but another part of him didn't want him too. He kind of liked the attention Mark gave him.

Extending out his hand, he started to reach out to touch Mark's chest. Only to see Mark's demeanor change from playful to serious. Backing up and away from him before he could even touch him. Mark backed up out of arms reach, prompting Jack to tell him lightly. "I didn't say anything." A tiny smile pulled at Mark's lips, before he leaned on a cooling rack and told him. "I know." Jack bit his lower lip as a light blush tinted his cheeks, lowering his hand. Mark lowered his eyes from him, walking away as he cleared his throat and said casually. "I'll let you work." Jack watched him leave the kitchen, then took a silent deep breath to calm himself. His heart was racing, and it was hard to hold back his smile. Turning back around, he exhaled and started to work on the pastries. He concentrated on his work and found himself to be a lot more passionate. He wasn't sure what Mark was doing, but he hoped he was finding a way to amuse himself. While waiting for the last of the pastries to bake, he found himself working on a something else. When it was all finally done, Jack was sweating from the ovens and sprinkled in flour. Taking a delivery basket, Jack put the pastries in it for Mark to take to Carolyn. Taking the other pastry he made, he wrapped it more carefully and took them out to the front.