Chapter Ten: "No Fences"

Jack bit his lip, watching a small smirk pull at Mark's lips. When his eyes met his, Mark's deep voice practically dripped with honey when he asked him. "Are you asking me to run away with you?" Jack gulped, shuffling his feet a little anxiously. Quickly turning away to hide his blush, he shrugged as he mumbled out nervously. "Maybe..." Jack organized the jars on the counter, trying to act like he wasn't just hiding from him. Jack's breath caught in his throat when he felt the heat from Mark's body behind him. Mark's hands rested on the counter, keeping him from a quick retreat. Over his shoulder, Mark whispered to him a little playfully. "Jack... I'm not built for city life. A guy like me needs... room to run. Small towns. Few people." Jack turned his head just a little, avoiding his eyes when he told him with a little innocent shrug. "It's all I've known... I don't mind it." Mark huffed, his warm breath puffing over Jack's neck enough to give him goosebumps. Jack quickly turned his head away, trying to suppress a shiver. Mark's lips ghosted over his neck, nuzzling up to his ear when he whispered to him softly. "Why do you really want to leave, Jack?" Jack swallowed, leaning against Mark's arm as he tried to keep Mark's lips off him to think clearly enough to answer. "I just... I feel trapped here."

Mark lowered his arm to give him a chance to flee, brushing his lips up his ear as he asked sweetly. "Have you ever tried getting out?" Jack shook his head, prompting Mark to chuckle out warmly. "If you never try to get out... How do you know that you can't leave?" Jack's eyes rolled back as Mark playfully bit his ear. Jack's legs nearly buckled under him, when Mark stepped back to gruffly tell him. "I should go. Doesn't take me that long to fix something... usually." Whirling around, Jack blurted out in his cloudy state of mind. "You're leaving? But I thought...?" Mark rubbed his eyes, until the shine of his wolf eyes faded back to his darker human ones. Looking up at him, Mark chuckled out. "Relax. I'll be back at sundown for you." Mark walked out of the kitchen and Jack felt compelled to follow him out. Mark collected his tools and the basket for Carolyn. Then giving him a broad smile, he took the meat pie and started eating it as he strolled toward the front door. Putting a hand on the front counter, Jack wispily uttered out. "Why did you never say anything to me?" Mark finished chewing, then told him over his shoulder a bit grimly. "I guess... I'm just used to being chased. When people throw themselves at you... you settle into bad habits and forget how to connect with people. You stop being yourself and become only what their expectations of you are..."

Jack rubbed the counter absently, his heart skipping when Mark smiled back at him and said warmly. "You're the only one in this town that doesn't... Although, I know you want to. I'm curious who you think I am... and maybe I'm a little starved for attention." Jack rolled his eyes at the last bit, causing Mark to add in a tender voice. "You don't take my teasing as an invitation and though it seems silly... It means something to me. You seem to know the attention that I'm seeking. Whether you know it or not." Opening the door, Mark stepped out into the snow, calling out one last time. "See you tonight." The second the door closed, Jack exhaled and sank to the floor to sit down before he fell down. He could barely process what Mark had meant, but for the first time in a long time... Jack felt warm and fuzzy all over. Hugging his legs, he let himself fall into fits of giggles as he buried his face in his arm to hide his blushing grin. Closing his eyes, he relived how Mark had touched and kissed him. What was wrong with him? Why did he feel so... content all of a sudden? He kept waiting to wake up, but he didn't. He wanted to stay in this moment forever. When he thought about his Granny though, he gasped and jumped to his feet. He wanted to make her a get-well basket.

Snatching one of his delivery baskets, he rushed back into the kitchen and gathered up ingredients. Mark might not be able to sneak stuff, but he was positive that he could. So, he planned to bake as much as he could. He paused every once in a while as people came in to buy things, but filled his time with stuffing the basket to the brim. He made fresh bread and her favorite treats. He tried to make treats that would help fight some colds using fresh vegetables and herbs. Then removing a bottle of red wine from the rack on the wall, he blew off the dust and laid it carefully into the basket. He stepped back to admire his work and think about if he wanted to add more, until a soft knock rapped his back door. Whipping his sweaty brow, Jack looked at the window and gawked at how dark it had gotten. Cooking had taken up his whole day! Not having to go home had let him get carried away in his work. Rushing to the back door, he peeked out the curtain and unlocked it for Mark. Mark slipped in, shaking snow off his boots and jacket, before sniffing the air and moaning out. "Damn, that smells good. What? Aren't you ready?" Jack winced, removing his apron as he rushed out. "I'll be ready in just a second. Hang on."