Chapter Four: "I Wanna Leave & I Wanna Stay"

Jack locked eyes with Geralf, daring him to deny him his request. He wasn't going to let this man tease him and insult him. He'd already had a heartbreaking day. He didn't need his shit too. Jack's mother whirled around, slamming a pitcher down on the table, when she butted in sternly. "That's not happening! I forbid it, Jack!" Jack turned his attention her, stating out coolly. "I'm twenty-three years old! I can make my own decisions!" His mother put her hands on the table, glaring at him as she said darkly in a calm undertone. "You have no idea what you are asking for. You need to get over this fantasy you have. You have a good life here, and you are throwing it away... and for what?!" Jack rose from his seat, snapping out a bit louder. "A good life?! We aren't living! We cower behind our walls and pray they don't come in! We sacrifice our livestock in the hopes of surviving another day! We kill them and they kill us. It NEVER ends! I'm tired of losing friends. I'm tired of everyone just being ok with this." Resting his hands down on the table, Jack leaned closer to his mother. Staring her down, he added just as darkly. "Granny didn't fear the woods or the wolves. I wanna know why. And if you won't tell me, then I'll find her and ask her myself!"

His mother scoffed, shaking her head at him. Straightening up off the table, she told him bluntly. "She was crazy tree-hugger. A senile and stubborn old goat that couldn't face the facts. And if I hadn't had to work to help your father keep us from starvation, I never would have let her fill your head with such stupidity! All she did was fill your head with stories and dreams that you aren't even man enough to see through! Life is about following the rules! It's what keeps us safe! A black sheep doesn't belong in the herd. They'll only get the rest of us killed!" Jack lifted his chin, feeling her words cut him like a knife. Finding his voice, he stated out in the hopes of hurting her just as badly. "At least I can dream of something better. I'd rather stand out, then blend into the herd and be a lamb led to slaughter!" His mother pointed to his bed, snapping out angrily. "That's enough! Go to your room! You're not eating MY food! You can starve with that attitude!" Jack knocked his chair over and stormed off toward the front door instead. Behind him, his mother snapped out. "Where are you going?! There is a curfew!" Jack grabbed his red cloak and climbed up the ladder to his room. Gathering up what little things he owned, he slid down the ladder. His mother wrapped a shawl around her shoulders better, walking toward him with sudden concern as she said. "What are you doing? Jack? Answer me! Where do you think you are-?!"

Moving away from her, he snapped back. "What do you care?! I'm just a black sheep to be gotten rid of!" She shook her head, grabbing his arm as she told him a little nicer. "No! That's not what I meant! Jack!" Jack yanked his arm from her, flinging open the door and nearly running into his dad. His dad staggered out of his way, asking uneasily. "What's going on?" His mother pointed at him, telling her husband in a pleading tone. "John, stop him!" His dad grabbed his arm to stop him, asking a bit confused. "Why? What happened?" Jack twisted his arm from his dad's grip, snapping out. "Ask HER! I can't deal with this right now!" John followed him off the porch, saying calmly. "Wait! Calm down. Let's talk about this and- Jack!" Jack didn't stop. He just started walking. Neighbors peeked out of their windows at them. He could imagine the whole village would be talking about them by morning. He tried not to show how hurt he was. Keeping his chin up and fighting back tears. Until from the porch, his mother yelled out to him. "FINE! You wanna join them?! Fine! But the second you leave the gates with them; I'm selling that bakery!" Jack stopped in his tracks, glancing back at her. The pain showed on his face.

She had said it to hurt him, and it had worked. Silent tears streamed down his face, but he turned on his heel to head to the bakery. Trudging through the snow, he felt like he was being pulled apart. Dropping his keys into the snow, he sniffled and picked them up to unlock the bakery door. Slipping inside, he locked it back up. Peeking outside the window of the door, he saw the village councilmen arguing over whether to tie their offering to the wolves outside the gate. This would be the first time they didn't in a long time. Shutting the blinds, Jack set his bag down by the counter and took a moment to just look around the dark room of the bakery. In the dim light, he could remember the day his granny bought the place. She had excitedly entered and told him with a giddy smile. "Cozy, isn't it? Imagine it with the smell of fresh bread and treats. Nothing warms the soul like food." He watched the memory of his Granny pull him into a hug. Her voice fading away as she told him what kind of things she'd make. Running a hand along the counter, he walked into the back room to look at the kitchen. Within the kitchen, he pulled down his Granny's old worn cookbook off the shelf and hugged it to his chest as he slid down the counter to sit on the floor.