Chapter Eighteen: "Truth & Lies"

Jack calmed himself, panting a little heavily from his struggle. The man holding his arms, gripped him tighter, calling out excitedly. "My Vicky found him, Geralf!" The other Hunters started to argue as they pointed around the room at each other, snapping out. 'It may have been your dog, but I kept him from running away!' 'YOU! I was the one who grabbed him! You just latched on like a leech after!' Jack ignored their squabbling, his eyes locked on Geralf. Geralf took a single step into the room, causing the Hunters to fall silent. Walking slowly toward him, Geralf asked Jack in a cool tone. "Where's the wolf?" Refusing to look anywhere except Geralf's eyes, he told him firmly. "How should I know? He ran out into the woods after we escaped." Geralf put a finger under his chin, tilting his head up more. Staring him down, Geralf very calmly stated out. "I don't believe you." Glancing at the man holding him, Geralf stated out sternly. "Did you check the cellar for the wolf?" Jack tensed, while the man answered honestly. "No. We didn't want little red to escape." Geralf grabbed Jack's arm in his firm grim, pulling him closer a bit roughly, before telling the man bitterly. "Go and check." The man nodded, gesturing for a few others to follow him.

While they opened the trapdoor to slip in, Geralf pulled Jack off to the side. Looking from the trapdoor to Geralf, Jack asked him curiously. "I thought you wanted me. What do you want with him?" Geralf didn't answer nor look at him. The Hunters ventured below, and Jack heard them knocking stuff around. He waited for the moment they would find him with a heavy heart. He had hoped that Mark might save him if he'd managed to get away. As much as he didn't wanted to trust him... He wanted to believe that whether Mark was lying or not, that he'd at least steal him away to keep them from using his blood or worse. The men returned to the stairs of the trapdoor, shrugging out. "No sign of the wolf." Jack blinked with a blank look on his face. How was that possible? Were they blind? Geralf looked closely at Jack's face, clearly reading him like an open book. Peering at Geralf timidly from the corner of his eyes, Jack tried not to look suspicious. Geralf's eyes darted to the men, asking gruffly. "Are you sure? Did you check everywhere?" One of the Hunters nodded, answering briskly. "Yes. There is no other way out. The only thing down here are casks of moonshine, and they are sealed shut and heavy with alcohol. We checked."

Hefting a deep sigh, Geralf muttered out under his breath. "Oh well. I guess I will have to test my hopes on another wolf. Shame." Dragging Jack from the tack room, Geralf announced to the others. "Get the patrols ready for their shift. Send some men out to set up a few traps! Once word gets out, another wolf is bound to come snooping about. We'll test it on them." Jack tried to twist his arm free, but Geralf practically had him by the bone, causing his fingers to dig painfully into his bicep. Walking him out of the barn and toward the small jail building, Jack snapped out. "Where are you taking me?!" Unlocking the large iron door, Geralf started to pull him inside as told him calmly. "We're going to set you up someplace where I can keep a close eye on you. Right by my makeshift office so that we can have a little chat." The mayor quickly rushed over as he saw them, calling out in a worried tone. "Geralf! Where are you taking that boy?!" Geralf rolled his eyes, turning only slightly to say over his shoulder defensively. "I'm detaining a witch." The mayor scoffed, blurting out. "That's not a witch. I've known that boy his whole life. His pastries are good, but they aren't THAT good."

Jack shot the mayor an offended glare but said nothing. Geralf gave the mayor a shrug, blurting out in a condescending tone. "Forgive me... but considering the state that Lupine is in. I wouldn't trust you to find a castle in an open field. Let me do my job and I'll be out of your way in less time than you think." Jack grabbed the doorframe, desperately pleading out to the mayor. "Please! Don't let him do this! I'm not what he says!" Geralf wrapped an arm around his head, clapping his large hand over his mouth as he pulled him up against his side. Scoffing loudly, Geralf told the mayor with annoyance. "They all say that. But I have witnesses that saw him helping werewolves escape. And if I'm right... he may even control them." Jack tried to shake his head, but Geralf held his head firmly to his side. The mayor shifted on his feet uneasily, mumbling out. "There were witnesses...?" Geralf nodded, then added in casually. "They could be lying... but that will be for ME to sort out. Hence, why I'm bringing him here. To interrogate." Jack let out a distressed whine behind Geralf's hand. The mayor looked away toward the center of town, uttering out. "His family are not going to like this." Geralf shrugged, telling him firmly. "I'm trying to keep everyone safe. If he is innocent. Then they have nothing to fear."