Chapter Twenty-Six: "Off To Granny's"

Jack did his best to stay awake but found himself laying down against Mark's side. Mark was so warm and laying against him made him feel safe. He resisted closing his eyes to continue staying on guard though. Although, his mind drifted a little as he rested his head on Mark's side. Stroking Mark's muscular arm, Jack smirked to himself. It was a strange feeling to be so close to him knowing what he was and yet feeling so calm about it. Mark's arm moved to drape over Jack's hips, his fingers sliding between the backs of Jack's thighs to hold him closer. Jack stilled, letting him position him better like he was his pillow. Biting his lip, Jack tried not to think about how dangerously close Mark's head was to his crotch. Gulping, he tried to hide his blush against Mark's side. He struggled with the idea to wake him or not. Part of him wanted him to stay asleep, where he could secretly let him touch him. While another part of him was very uncomfortable about it. Would Mark be ok like this? He tried to keep his breathing normal to fool Mark into thinking he was relaxed. His heart was racing though, making his breathing a bit strained and uneven at times.

After a few minutes, Jack closed his eyes and just listened to the calm rise and fall of Mark's breathing. It was soothing to listen to. Then without meaning too, his hand moved across the ground to touch Mark's chest. His hand moved over the red cloak, feeling the curves of Mark beneath it. Petting him absently, Jack sighed and forced himself to open his eyes. He was getting tired and the warmer he felt... the more he wanted to sleep. As it got harder for him to keep his eyes open, he started to wonder if he was dreaming that Mark was moving. The way Mark's hand stroked his thighs and the way Mark's lips found the chilled skin of his hip to kiss him there. It all made Jack moan a little. It wasn't until Mark's warm hand brushed his cheek that he opened his heavy lidded eyes. Mark smiled at him warmly, before asking in a whisper. "Jack...? I've got to get up. Please?" Jack sleepily leaned more against Mark, mumbling out. "No. I'll get cold..." Chuckling, Mark whispered back a bit desperately. "I know... but I've got to pee." Smirking, Jack sat up just enough to let him up. Mark stiffly moved away, staggering out into the snow with his red cloak wrapped around him.

Jack watched him go, then laid back down in Mark's spot. The dirt was so warm that it was almost like he hadn't left, but it was less comfortable. Every crunch of snow and early bird song put him on edge now too. Without Mark close, he felt less safe and exposed. Reluctantly, he sat up and looked around with unfocused eyes. Staying up all night had taken a lot out of him. When Mark came around the corner, Jack jumped but his body didn't even have the energy to move from his spot. Slipping back under the ledge with him, Mark asked him softly. "You wanna get going. Or do you wanna stay a bit longer?" Jack's response was to put his head down on Mark's warm shoulder. Wrapping an arm around him, Mark laid down and told him in a deep voice. "Alright. We'll stay a bit longer." Laying his arm out for him, Jack laid his head down on his arm and snuggled up close to his chest for the heat. Mark draped himself over him, resting his chin on his shoulder as he took up the watch. Jack could only be silently thankful to him. He'd never been so tired. After a nice nap, Jack opened his eyes and just stared at Mark's bare chest. He didn't want Mark to know that he was up yet. He wanted to enjoy being in his arms a bit longer.

Mark was hard to fool though. While staring out into the woods, Mark asked him lightly. "Are you alright?" Nodding, Jack whispered out in return. "Ya. Just tired. It was a long night." Mark looked down at him, smiling just a little when he casually replied. "Ya. It was. Thank you. For saving me." Blushing, Jack mumbled out shyly. "It was nothing... You save me all the time." Mark's hand touched his cheek, before his voice deepened and he said so beautifully. "That doesn't mean that I expected you to do it in return." Swallowing, Jack sat up on his elbow, his voice little more than a whisper when he replied. "Well... I didn't want to lose you. I've grown... quite fond of you." This time Mark blushed, when he stated out shyly. "Have you now?" Jack licked his dry lips, his heart surging from his chest. In his surreal state, he found himself cupping Mark's cheek and bringing his lips to his. Mark gave him a small kiss and pulled back a little in surprise. Jack refused to let him just back away and pulled him back into the kiss by his neck. They shared a slow and passionate kiss, before Jack pulled back to breathe. Mark stroked the side of Jack's neck, whispering to him. "Does this mean you trust me now?"