Chapter Twenty-One: "This Side Of You"

Getting himself together, Jack moved to the sink and changed the bandage on his hand to a fresh one. Rubbing his thumb over the fresh bandage, he sighed softly. It was strange to think about how normal things used to be and now... everything was complicated. Pushing his red hood off his head, he retrieved his little music box and checked on the place. After making sure that everything was in its place, he took a pastry and hopped up on the counter to sit. While nibbling on it, he bowed his head and tried not to let himself sink too far into the gossip. Although, Charlotte's words swirled within his mind. He didn't know whether to be happy or insulted that she wanted to marry him despite the town thinking him to be undesirable. She made him feel like a clear 'second choice' out of the men in this town. Which hurt, but he found it a little amusing that it still put him close to Mark. Tilting his head back, he tried to imagine a 'normal' life with her... but he couldn't. He could only see them lost in their separate work and desires. When his eyes drifted to the other counter, his breath hitched at the memory of Mark cornering him there. His wolfish smile and light teasing bringing a blushing smile to Jack's face.

He wanted to be the one that someone fought for, not the one they settled for. Letting the smile fade from his face as he thought of Mark's betrayal, he banged his head back against the wall with defeat. This town and the people were draining him. A knock came at the kitchen door, causing Jack to jerk upright. He hoped it wasn't Geralf. He wasn't in the mood for him. Outside the door, his dad's familiar voice stated aloud. "Jack? I know you're in there. Can I come in?" Sliding off the counter, Jack opened the door and suspiciously asked him. "How did you know I was here? Are you stalking me now?" His dad chuckled, closing the door as he replied. "No. You always come here when you're not at home." Jack rolled his eyes, mumbling out as he tried to organize things to look busy. "Great... I'm predictable." His dad moved to lean on a counter, telling him softly as he looked around. "You're not predictable. You're comfortable." Stopping to face his dad at a distance, he asked him timidly. "Why are you here?" His dad lowered his eyes to the floor, telling him a bit reluctantly. "I just finished a conversation with Charlotte's dad." Jack tensed, turning away as he said grimly. "Dad... Please."

His dad's voice was calm and hopeful, when he told him. "Jack, hear me out. Charlotte is a nice girl, and her family is wealthy. She can take care of you." Jack turned, leaning his hips back on the counter as he shrugged out in a hurt voice. "I don't want to be taken care of. I don't want her money." His dad shrugged, telling him reluctantly. "We don't have a lot of options. Everything costs money. She's willing to overlook the rumors and give you something normal." Jack shook his head, retorting flatly. "I don't want normal... I don't... I don't love her." His dad sighed, moving closer as he replied gently. "You've never tried. Son... I... I know you're a little different." Jack tensed, nervously eyeing his dad out of the corner of his eyes. Did his dad know? His dad put a hand on his shoulder, telling him lovingly. "She's a little different too. I think the both of you will hit it off if you just try." Jack's heart sank to the pit of his stomach. His dad didn't know and that hurt worse. He wanted to tell him, but the fear of being called a 'devil's whore' by his own father kept the words from surfacing. He couldn't even look his father in the eyes out of shame.

His dad ruffled his hair, pleading with him nicely. "I've already agreed to the match. Just... try and get to know her?" Tears welled up in Jack's eyes, but he turned away from his dad to hide them as he uttered out. "Ya... I'll... I'll try." His dad patted his back, giving Jack the nudge that his silent tears needed to fall down his cheeks. As his dad reached the door, he added over his shoulder sweetly. "Your mom is going to help me talk to them tonight. You'll have the house to yourself to... think things over." Jack didn't answer. He could only stand in silence. When he heard the door shut, Jack slowly sank to his knees before the counter. Pressing his forehead to the counter door, he let himself cry. Why did he feel like he was being sold? He couldn't believe that he didn't say anything. He was so afraid to utter a single word that would hurt him. This town felt like a cage with a door that was slowly closing to lock him in... and yet no matter how fast he ran, he just couldn't get out. Sitting down on the floor, he hugged the red cloak around himself and tried to calm down. Crying wasn't going to fix this. Sniffling, he told himself that he'd cry a little longer and that would be it. After that, he'd piece himself together and make a decision.