(58) A Treaty

3rd April 1525

it was now evening and there was a big ball here in Madrid. I got dressed into one of the best outfits I had packed, My red velvet dress with gold trim around the edge. I also wore a huge gold necklace, a headpiece with lots of gold and not a lot of makeup.

"your majesty" I heard mary Devereux say as she rushed over to tighten my corset.

"how was last night, good I'm guessing," she asked

"well, it was okay we got on quite well, it was rather good. how much did Anne tell you?" I said

"she told me about the flirting, the hands all over, it sounded a rather revolting image in my head," Mary said and I shook my head.

"revolting" I questioned loudly and mary didn't say anything but smile as Anne, her sister and her cousin all entered the room. Mary was in blue, Anne in green and Catherine in rosy pink. we not long after left the room my ladies behind me as we entered the packed hall.

Halfway through the night, all my ladies were dancing with Spanish noblemen apart from Catherine. she was dancing with the emperor and looked as if she was having a grand old time. once Charles finally sat down I gripped his arm handing him a glass.

"let us discuss this peace treaty," I said and he grumbled but agreed,

"Fernando, take the queen to my office, I'll be there shortly," he said as this rather muscular extremely tall man came over. he was even taller than my six foot two, husband but no my brother who was an actual giant compared to the both of them. he lead me out of the hall to a side room and there lay a scroll that I read. I then found a finger pointing at the top of the scroll once I had reached the last line.

"so do you agree," Charles asked and I shook my head as he wrapped his arm around me?

"not this part, England shall help Spain when at war with France. we have a peace treaty with France and I would hate to break it," I said and the emperor moved in closer to me from behind me, his chin resting upon my shoulder.

"I would hate to upset you and your brother's relationship but we must agree upon that," he said.

"what if I could change your mind," I said moving away from him but turning to face him. that's when the door was opened and Charles Brandon came in but I turned back to look at the emperor.

"how," he asked and I smiled

"marriage, to the duke of Suffolk's daughter Isabella Valois of Aunguleme, Marquess of Pembroke or my daughter princess mary but there would be a lot of waiting or my younger sister, princess Margurite Valois - Anguloueme, " I said he looked deep in thought. 

"might I add, my daughter, is also charlotte's daughter, here is a picture" Charles Bradon added handing over his locket to the emperor. he stared at the portrait with great joy,

"she illegitimate," he asked and Suffolk nodded.

"but our daughter, has royal blood in here, french royal blood, and she may even be the king of England's daughter. do not think badly of me though" I said and he nodded not taking his eyes off the portrait.

"I will never think badly of you and I agree, I want her or either your sister as my wife," he said and I nodded, smiling at Brandon who looked pleased.

"your sister is unmarried," he asked 

"yes, recently widowed, a wealthy widow even though she doesn't need any more money" I responded and he smiled.

"I want to meet her as well as your daughter then I can decide, we will have to arrange It soon" he added on as I nodded turning to Charles who looked rather cheery.