(50) Four Shadows Of Death

10th July 1521

Lady jane pole walked into the room curtsying as someone followed behind.

"your majesty" she cried and Charles iii duke of savoy wonder in behind her and my face fell slightly. I rose to look at my uncle as a smile appeared on his face,

"my dear niece" he cried as I walked over to him. he bowed as I curtsied before he drew me into his arms.

"what are you doing here," I asked him and he shone me a smile,

"to see you, I heard about the attack and I wanted to see you with my bare eye. I see you are well" he spoke rubbing his thumb against my check constantly as I stared into his eyes with a smile. 

"yes uncle Carlos, I am well," I said as the man wrapped his arm around me,

"walk" I offered through the silence and he nodded. we walked side by side my ladies behind as wonder out of the room. I hadn't seen Charles since my wedding day, all those years ago. he was much older now, his hair had tints of silver, he had grown an impressive beard and but at the same time, he looked exactly the same. he walked with a stride, full of power and pride. he held me like I was a prize, maybe that's why he is here to extend his power across the sea. It is just a thought but I will enjoy his company while he is here. 

"How is the king," he asked me as he drew me from y train of thoughts,

"you will see for yourself, uncle" I replied and he shook his head.

"you know what I meant, how is your marriage" he spat out looking intensely at me as we made it onto the grounds. 

"you should know, we have three sons and a daughter," I said and he smiled heartily as I realised my mistake.

"Sorry, I meant two sons, Arthur and Francis," I said and he stopped in his tracks,

"two, what happened," he asked and I rolled my eyes stopping in front of him.

"thought you'd know - he died" I spoke as I kept on walking and he did the same. we spoke for a bit more, as we entered the garden where he took a seat by the fountain, he held my hand as I sat by his side. I then pushed my hair to one side as my uncle watched me carefully.

"how is prince Fredrick," I asked trying to clear the silence,

"he is well, he has grown a lot, height wise and maturity. he isn't like his father but in many ways, he reminds me of your father, that's what your mother says," he said making me my mouth to fall.

"my father" I muttered in shock and Charles nodded, as I looked at him in absolute disbelief. 

"yes your father, he is a beautiful young boy but not the keenest to learn so just like your father" he continued as my heart melted with joy. I was proud of him, and I couldn't wait for him to come over to England when he was old enough. that will be in two or so years, Francis will let me look after him as Louis had insisted on. I lifted my head up turning it to the side where I had heard a rustling sound come from. their henry stood and by his side was Charles Brandon and William Compton. I stood up turning to face the king as my uncle turned to look and saw the king. he rose to his feet as the three men made their way over and we both watched intensely. as the king got closer my uncle bowed as I curtsied.

"your majesty" my uncle cried, as henry looked him up and down.

"Charles duke of savoy" he continued,

" my uncle" I added on. henry took my uncle's outstretched hand and shook it as I looked at the two men behind him.

"This is Charles Brandon Duke of Suffolk and this is sir William Compton" henry introduced his men and I smiled at them.