(35) I Still Love You

3rd September 1517

I was on my horse and I had been galloping through the countryside. my horse began to prance when we entered the crowded village.

"Your majesty" one man cried over the muttering and chatter. everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me bowing and curtsying as I made my way through the crowds. 

"God bless you all good English men" I cried too many cheers,

"long live the queen" somebody cried from the herd. this caused me to smile as millions of cheers cried out from the crowds repeating the same words.  one even lifted up her tiny little child and held them in my direction. she then began walking beside the horse to chat up.

"your majesty, heal my child she is a sickly child" she cried and I nodded stopping my horse. I then lifted the child into my arms and looked them dead on into their glistering brown eyes. 

"by the power vested in me, you have healed my child," I said as the child wrapped their short stocky arms around me. I kissed placed my hand over the little child's head before I handed the child back to their mother. once I did this I took off through the crowds and shortly arrived at the cottage.

"ahh, Audrey" I called out seeing the maid dashing of clutching a bucket and rag as I entered my house. she stopped sharply, turned towards me lowering the things in her hands. she then walked over to me and curtsied.

"yes, my lady," she said as I placed my hand on her shoulder,

"Audrey, you have done so much for me and I feel you like a daughter to me. I wanted to give you this" I started handing the maid a rectangle box. she opened it and there sat a gold necklace which had eight red jewels on it. 

"I got it from henry but I feel you deserve it more, as I have all the jewels I have ever wished for," I said as tears ran down her face as she gasped at the sight of it.

"you can't, I don't deserve it" she cried as I placed my hand on her shoulder.

" I just want you to have a good life you and your family. so I have let you enter the court and become one of my ladies if you'd accept this position" I said and she gripped me into a hug. she abruptly stepped away from me apologising profusely.

"you are too kind, your majesty," she said as she curtsied and left admiring the necklace. I watched her walk till she turned the corner, I then headed up the stairs to my chambers. as I walked into the room I saw Edmund Howard lying across my bed playing the lute while 2 of my ladies were doing stitch work. well, one was more interested in Edmund as their lips met at once.

"you are dismissed ladies" I cried and they left shortly after, then I turned to look at Edmund. he was still strumming his lute as I walked over to him. I sat by his side and stared into the distance as he lowered his lute.

"I knew you'd move on to someone new, just like that" I cried out.

"it's not like that charlotte" Edmund started but I had shot up and opened my mouth.

"I am your queen address me in such a way" I cried and he subtly but guiltily nodded. 

"I still love you your majesty and I apologise for the harm I have caused you" he apologised and a smile appeared on my face.

"are you really apologising, you brought me such fun for a small period but it's over. you only wanted me to get me in your bed, and I provide and possess much more than that. so go find yourself a new little girl and charm her into your filthy bed behind your wife back" I cried out as Edmunds face sunk even more.

" I do not do such things and I am dearly hurt you think of me in such a foul, rotten way" he apologised.

"save you petty apologise for the next girl when you break her heart or perhaps, well just maybe to your poor sickly wife," I said in a much chirpier and soft tone. Edmund eyes filled with rage as he sharply. he was frustrated full of great rage as he glowered at me with his brown flaming eyes. he raised his hand and was about to strike at me as I didn't shift. I wore an arrogant sneer as I watched his raised hand tremble slightly. he slowly lowered it, his face filled with defeat and his head sunk low. he looked back u into my eyes, looking for forgiveness, a little bit of remorse but he received none. Edmund lowered his head once more and stormed out of the room as I watched with a little smirk.

12th September 1517

"your grace, it's lovely to see you back in here," I said as Charles Brandon got off his chair and bowed.

"your majesty, it's lovely to see you too," he said as I entered his chamber. I sat upon his bed where he slumped down next to me. I lay my head upon his shoulder as he moved a few strands of hair out of my face causing me to smile.

"How is my sister in law, you better be treating goodly," I said and Charles nodded,

"I am always goodly and especially to mary, she deserves it," he said as I wrapped my arms around him.

"does henry truly love me, I feel his love is slipping away as my own slowly does the same. I used to long for his touch but all I want is your own" I spat out randomly through the peaceful silence, staring into the distance. he wrapped his arms around me as I everted my eyes towards him. 

"henry truly loves you, I know it, well I did know it but he must. any man would love to marry you, sleep with and even just kiss you. luckily I've already had the privilege of doing so and I could still do it for the rest of my life" Charles said with a smirk. I began laughing as we both shuffled closer to each other. Charles lifted my chin up so I could look into his eyes. I looked deeply into them, I had forgotten how warming and safe his eyes were. our lips then suddenly locked together and we were kissing.

"I had missed this so much" I smiled as I wrapped my arms around him drawing him into a hug.

"I have missed you, my love and I never stopped loving you," he said before drawing me into another kiss. this kiss was gentler, sweet but still the same amount of passion.

"you're a pro at this aren't you," I said and he nodded whilst chuckling.

"you can say that" he chuckled,

"Can I confess something to you, my love," I asked and he nodded as he sat me up on his lap.

"I have to get this off my chest, so here is this," I said handing him the letter king Louis left for me. Charles muttered out a few words as he read through the letter, his facial expressions not giving anything away.

"you and him - what, why," he said dumbfounded but I could see curiosity glistening in his eyes.

"it started when I was 15, he was at his lowest and I wanted to cheer him up. then next thing I knew I had made it into his bed and he was towering on top of me. I let him do as he pleased that till I was 17 where I slowly drifted away. I then came here and met you and the king of course and here we are now" I said as Charles mouth slowly closed. he didn't say a thing but wrapped his arms around me kissing me upon the forehead.

"I will take your secret to the grave trust me" he cried 

"I trust you with my whole heart, life, body and soul," I said with a beaming smile. the man sitting in front of me was driving me crazy, I loved him more than I humanly thought I could ever love another. his eyes, his hair, his adoring smile and laugh, his extreme cheekiness, confidence and loyalty.

"I still love you charlotte, remember that," he said and I nodded 

"I love you too, remember" I cried out.

"don't tell my wife's brother, as he may throw as both in jail," he said still chuckling and I joined in. our lips the met once more stopping our laughter abruptly as the kiss comforted both of us and I felt one thing, only one and that was love.