Chapter 1 - Finding PAL

(Y/n) had just moved to Kentwood. It was a beautiful day there. The high that day was around 90°F so she decided to go to the pool for a swim. She put on her favorite bathing suit and put on some sunblock, heading out to the pool after she grabbed a towel.

She walked down the sidewalk since the pool was just a few blocks away. She kept walking until she saw the community pool. She ran up, accidentally tripping since she was wearing flip-flops. Oops. She opened the gate to the pool and closed it behind her. She set her towel down on a picnic table that had a nice umbrella over it. She kicked off her shoes and right as she was about to go into the water, she noticed a cracked phone that was in a glass of water.

Who's phone is this? She wondered.

She took it out of the water and turned it over to see what kind of phone it was. It was a PAL phone. Huh. PAL kinda went downhill ever since that whole robot apocalypse.. odd.

A thought crossed her mind.

What if this is the PAL? She thought.

She chuckled a little.

Psh, what a stupid thought. It's probably just a phone that once belonged to someone and they destroyed it because of the apocalypse. Yeah. Hmm.. I wonder if it's got any photos on it? Haha, imagine if this is actually PAL. That would be.. interesting. She thought.

She tried turning it on. She clicked the on button but it didn't work. Not a surprise. She even pressed and held the on button. Nothing.

"Meh, oh well. Not really a surprise since it was in that glass of water." She said to herself.

She looked around to see if anyone owned the phone. No one else was at the pool with her.

"Meh.. I guess it's a lost cause." She mumbled.

Just then, the gate to the community pool opened. (Y/n) looked over to see who it was and the person appeared to be a small boy. He didn't look much older than 11 or so. He had freckles and blonde hair and brown eyes. He wore a blue swim shirt and white swim trunks.

"Oh, hey, kid. Odd question but have you lost a phone or something?" (Y/n) asked.

"No, why?" The boy responded.

"Because I found this phone in a glass of water." (Y/n) replied. "Wondering if it was yours. Been trying to boot it up." She added.

The boy looked horrified.

"Hey.. er.. you alright?" (Y/n) asked.

"Don't try and boot it up! Don't try to boot it up!" The boy begged.

"What? Why? I love broken junk like this. It's fun to play around with and get it back up and working!"

"No, no! That's PAL! You know, the evil cell phone lady!" The boy said frantically.

"Huh?" (Y/n) said confusedly. She then understood what he said. "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.. you mean this is the PAL?!"

"Yes! She's dangerous! She almost caused the end of the world and had evil PAL bots bow down to her!"

"I know that. I'm just.. amazed I guess. She looks fine minus being waterlogged and cracked at the top right corner." (Y/n) said as she studied PAL a little more closely.

"No! Then we need to destroy her even more!" The boy said as he tried to jump up and grab the phone out of her hand.

"What? No! Don't!"

The boy looked a little surprised.

"What?! Why not? She'll create the end of the world if we don't!"