Chapter Thirteen

"Go straight up to Owen's room, okay?" My mom calls from the car window as I walk up the sidewalk towards the college.

"I will, mom, bye," I call, and her car disappears around the corner.

It's been three days since the incident with Jonathan. My mom and sister have both been overprotective far more than usual. Jonathan, though, was taken to the police for questioning. I'm not sure where he is now, or what's happened to him. I just hope I never encounter him again.

By the time I've walked up the stairs to Owen's hallway, I'm already out of breath and tired. Maybe I should work on that...

I reach out and knock softly on his door. And I wait. Nobody answers. So I knock again, and once again, nobody comes to the door.

I try the doorknob, but it's locked. I guess there's always a first to use the secret key he told me about. I reach up on my tiptoes and slide my hand across the top of the doorframe. My fingers come in contact with a small, metal object. The key.

I open the door, replace the key, and walk inside. Nobody is in sight. Not on the couch, not in the small kitchen area. Nowhere. The bedroom door is closed, and I don't want to invade personal space.

So, I walk over to the couch and sit myself down on it. I don't really know what to do with myself. Where is Owen?

I find myself looking over at the closed bedroom door. He's probably in there. But I can't go look, because that's just not exactly okay.

I guess I can wait for a while. I spend about ten minutes, staring up at the posters on his ceiling. I spend almost twenty minutes on my phone, not exactly doing anything. And for the next five minutes, I walk around his carpeted living area in my socks, trying to build up static electricity.

Finally, I get so bored that I can't help the curiosity.

I walk slowly over to his door. I knock softly, carefully. No answer comes in return. So, I press the door open an inch. It's dark inside, from what I can tell. I keep pushing the door open further until its almost halfway. And I realize why he hasn't come out yet. He's asleep.

My eyes widen, and my cheeks tint pink. He lays on his stomach, arms folded beneath his cheek, lips slightly parted. I can't bring my eyes away as hard as I try.

I should've known that he was asleep... What else would he be doing? I slowly back away, re-closing the door as quietly as I possibly can.

Someone squeezes my sides behind me. I let out a screech, turning around.

Joey stands before me, laughing at me.

"What was that for?" I demand.

"What are you looking into Owen's room for?" He asks, eyebrows raised.

"I didn't know..." I start, looking away and blushing.

"I'm just messing with you, Brinley," he smiles. "Anyways, I've got to go to class. I'll be back in like two hours. Until then, my friend."

He waves goodbye, then leaves, closing the door behind him.

I return to the couch, looking around the room for probably the thirtieth time. Boredom is a miserable thing.

It takes at least an hour before I hear the bedroom door creak open. I turn to face where he walks out. He wears blue and black plaid pajama pants and a tight grey T shirt. His hair is tasseled and messy, and he rubs his eyes tiredly. I don't know why it makes me uncomfortable, or like I've done something wrong seeing him in this state.

He finally notices me, stopping where he is, looking confused. His eyes are barely open.

"Brinley?" He asks, blinking a few times. "Why are you here?"