Chapter Thirty-Nine

"This isn't quite the pier I imagined, if I am completely honest," Joey admits.

At least somebody said it out loud. I was thinking the same thing, and I can bet Clarin and Lucas were as well. The thing is maybe twenty yards out into the water. The wood is old and doesn't look too stable. In fact, it's pretty mossy and seems slightly dangerous. I don't think I want to put all my weight on it.

"That's it," Ian says, and he looks proud to be standing in front of the thing.

"Hm," Clarin says. "It's very... antique."

"Delicate," Lucas adds to the pool of words.

"It looks like a friggin' death trap from a horror movie," Joey exclaims, throwing his arms in the air. "I would like to know which genius is gonna go first."

"It was Ian's idea, he can go first," I cross my arms over my chest.

"Gladly," Ian bows his head in my direction.

Then he starts out across the wooden pier, strutting like it's nobody's business. What a show off. I hope the boards crack beneath him and he falls through. He's using the thing as a runway for heaven's sake!

"Ian, you idiot, you're blinding my poor eyes with your hip swivels!" Joey yells, hands cupped around his mouth.

"You love it, don't lie!" Ian yells from the end of the pier. Of course he's made it safely across. Come on, karma. Give the kid what he should get.

"Who's next?" Joey asks, raising his hands up in mock innocence. "Because it ain't me."

"It's like we're sending each other off to their deaths," Clarin laughs. "Who should we kick out next?"

"Brinley!" Joey cries, eyes wide in excitement. "You're the next sacrifice!"

I blink. "What? No!"

"Go. Now. Or you have to buy us all dinner," Joey says, putting his hands on his hips.

"Who are you kidding?" I ask with a smile. "I have no money!"

"She isn't lying," Clarin vouches.

"Fine," Joey says, turning back to me. "Go, or I'll moon you."

"What?" My eyes widen.

"Go or I'll leave a pile of dog crap on your pillow tonight."

"What are you-"

"Go or I'll throw you in the water again," Joey smirks this time.

No. He wouldn't. But judging by the look on his face, he definitely would. I gulp down my last bit of defiance and start on my way towards the pier.

"Yes! See that, I got the most stubborn mule out there to follow my command!" I hear Joey exclaim from behind me.

"Did you just call my girlfriend a mule?" Owen asks.

"I think I did..." Joey says, and when I whip my head around angrily he just shrugs innocently.

"You jerk!" I yell at him, taking my first step on the pier. It creaks beneath my feet. Oh, gosh. I'm going to die.

"You can do it, B!" Ian calls, about ten yards away from me.

I don't know if I can. I concentrate on where I put my feet. There are some places on here that look like they're rotting away and have been for quite a while. I try to find the sturdiest places to walk.

"No, don't step there-"

I look up, bewildered, but then the board beneath my feet collapses, dragging me straight down into the water below. I let out a high screech, scraping my arm in the midst of my frantic flapping to save myself.