Chapter Four

My mom wakes me up at six forty five, giving me about five minutes to get ready before we have to leave. All I have time to do is throw on some jeans and a black v neck and tie my shoes. Then I brush my teeth and throw my hair in a bun on the top of my head.  

I take an apple from the fruit bowl before we leave.

Once we're in the car, I feel my phone vibrate. I take it out of my pocket and look down.

'Have fun with Mr. Handsome today.' -Clarin

I shake my head, a grin on my face. Then I take another bite out of my apple.

'I don't even know him.'

'Well, for now. Soon enough, you'll remember.' -Clarin

That's right, the doctors said memories should start coming back in about a week.

I don't really know how long the drive actually is. When we finally get to Pearlen University, we park in the lot by the dorm rooms. I get out of the car, taking my apple with me, and follow my mom into the building.

Once inside, we have to get into an elevator. She presses the '4' button, and we go up to that level. I'm then lead down a hallway and to door 421.

My mom knocks on the door a few times then stands back to wait. I take another bite into my apple.

The for swings open and Owen stands before us, smiling. I let my arm holding my apple fall to my side. I had almost forgotten how good looking he is. But I remember that I'm chewing on a piece of apple and focus on that now.

"Come on in," he says, moving aside so I can enter.

"Thank you, Owen," my mom says.

"No problem," he replies, then he waves her goodbye and closes the door quietly.

I just kind of awkwardly stand in the center of the room, watching him. He notices me and raises his eyebrows. I lift the apple to my mouth and take a bite. Neither of us looks away.

"You can sit down," Owen says after a moment. "Make yourself at home."

I look at the black leather couch and nod before sitting myself on the left side of it. Then I take another bite of my apple.

I'm surprised when he sits down next to me on the couch. I look at him, eyes wide.

"What?" He asks, suppressing a smile.

"Nothing," I mumble, swallowing the last of the apple. "Where's your garbage?"

"Oh, I usually just chuck my trash on the floor," he says, looking at my finished apple core.

I look at the ground, eyebrows raised in disbelief.

"I'm kidding," he laughs. "It's over there, under the sink."

I follow his pointed finger to where the sink is. I pull open the cupboards and toss the apple core into the trash. I return to my spot on the couch.

Owen's on his phone, texting someone. I lean over, trying to find the contact. He looks over at me, one eyebrow raised.

"I was just... Uh..." I look back at his phone. The contact name is Daphne Lorry. "Who's Daphne?"

"My cousin," he says, continuing his message.

"Oh, that's good," I say, letting out a relieved breath.

"That's good?" He asks.

Ah, crap. Shouldn't have said that. Well, too late now.