Chapter Fifty-Two

When I wake up, my body is heavy like I've been asleep for ages. My limbs don't want to move. My blood is filled with lead. My eyelids are glued shut. My breaths are long and steady.

Everything is confusing. I can't figure out what I'm doing or where I've been or whether or not I'm dead. Why would I be dead? I don't understand my own thoughts.

And then all at once the misty confusion disappears and my heart lurches. I was thrown out a window. That's why I could be dead.

And everything rushes to me just like it did while I was falling. I can see myself, young and innocent, running and playing and skipping in the back of my mind. I can remember myself with Clarin, myself with Owen. I can remember the day the accident happened perfectly. It's clear as day and feels like it never left.

I don't understand.

How is it possible that I can remember everything?

I try once again to open my eyes, but they're cemented down. My limbs refuse to work. My fingers won't move. Nothing will budge.

Where am I? is the real question running through my mind.

I start with what I do know. I do know that I was in danger, that Ian tried to kill me... That he might have killed me, for all I know. I know that I never told Owen goodbye before it all happened so suddenly. I know that I remember everything. It might be because I've past on and that barrier is no longer there because I'm in another life far from my old one.

There's a sound. It's beeping. Steadily. I don't know how I didn't recognize it before. I've been here before. Many times. I'm in a hospital. I know this much.

Slowly but surely, I tear my eyes open. It's so bright, too bright. But I'm not supposed to see anything! Has my vision returned to me? I hope I'm not dreaming. Please, please let this not be a dream.

The blurs turn into figures and objects. There's a closed door and window across from me, all the walls around me are blank and white as always. There is a desk covered in supplies and tools and machines to my right. There is something connected to my side-I'm being supplies something. This is a tube running through me. I try to lift a hand to my head, but my muscle groans with the attempt. Everything is so stiff.

And then I notice something else, something that I should've noticed when I first came in. Owen's head is resting on my legs, the rest of him in a chair beside my bed. His eyes have bags under them even though they're closed in what must be exhaustion. His lips are slightly parted and his dark hair is falling into his face.

I want to cry. I haven't seen him in so long. This blindness has made the only time I can see him in my restricted memories. And none of those can do him justice.

My hand slowly reaches out to move his hair away from his forehead. It's so soft, just as always. This time, a tear does roll down my cheek. I'm so glad I'm not dead. I am so glad I'm here right now, and that Owen is here, and that we are both okay.

My hand rests on his cheek, and his eyes open. He blinks a few times in confusion. Then his focus lands on me, his beautiful green eyes widening in shock. I want to stop the world right now. Seeing that look in his eye as his lips turn up in the most breathtaking smile I have ever seen.

"Brinley?" He asks quietly, voice cracking.

My thumb moves along his cheek, and I know tears have fallen over his eyes because I feel them on my fingers. Owen wraps his arms around me carefully, one arm around my middle and another gently pressed to my head. His head rests on my shoulder and his uneven breaths against my collarbone melt my heart away.