Chapter Fifty

"Wake up," someone whispers in my ear. I whack my arm tiredly at them, hoping they'll leave me alone. "Okay, ow."

"Wimp," I mumble.

"Get up, B," Joey's voice fills my ears. "You don't want to be laying in that bed your whole birthday."

"Birthday?" My eyes whip open. "What?"

"Um... It's your birthday..?"

"Oh," I blink a few times, still nowhere near used to my blindness. "It's July 22nd already?"

"Sure is," Joey says. "So, uh, happy nineteen bestie."

I blink again, feeling confused. Why didn't anyone mention this to me before now? What the crap? Joey's arms wrap around me and he lets out an insane laugh.

"Whoa!" I yelp in my surprise. "Hello Joey."

He laughs again, not letting me out of his death lock grasp. "You're nineteen, chica! That's so old! You're still an immature kid to me, though."

"Jerk," I shove him. But I can't help the smile from erupting on my face.

"It isn't my fault you decided to pick a jerk as your best friend," Joey ruffles my hair.

"You just admitted to being a jerk," I point out.

"Hey, this friend-fest going on is adorable and all, but we've got to get a move on," Owen's voice comes into the room. "Clarin'll help Brinley. Joey, come on out."

"Can't you give me, like, ten minutes to talk to my best friend on her birthday, you selfish monster? You get to spend all day with her!" Joey exclaims.

"Go away, Joey," Owen says, and I can picture the sassy eye roll that's probably going on.

"Hey, you have to get out of here too," Joey points out.

"Boys," Clarin says louder than their argument. "Get out, now."

"Sorry, ma'am," Joey mutters as his and Owen's footsteps fade away. The door finally closes.

"So," Clarin says, voice clear with with excitement. "Happy Birthday."

"Thanks. Hey you too! Why aren't you celebrating as well? It's literally just me, that's so awkward!"

"We've decided to celebrate mine tomorrow so you can have your... special day...Um... You're going to want a swimsuit, maybe a dress over it..." Clarin continues. "Owen's super excited about today, by the way."

"What are we doing exactly?" I ask her casually, picking at my fingernails.

"I can't say," she says in a giddy voice. "But it is awfully romantic," she blurts out.

I smile and shake my head. "Alright then."

<•>•<•>

"Ready?" Owen asks, taking my hand once I come downstairs.

"On a scale of 1-10 hours, how ready for this long drive should I be?" I ask him.

"Only three," Owen says. "It isn't that bad."

"Okay. Let's go then," I nod.

"Have fun, lovebirds," Clarin calls as I'm led out the doorway.

"Don't make out too much, aight? It isn't healthy!" Joey yells right before the door slams closed.

"Right then," Owen laughs.

He helps me into the car and shuts the door after me. I wait patiently for the sound of his door closing and the engine turning on. Speeding out of the driveway of his parents' house and off down the road, he presses the radio on.